[slurm-users] scontrol create partition fails

Long, Daniel S. via slurm-users

Jun 10, 2024, 9:05:41 AMJun 10
to slurm...@schedmd.com

Hi,

I need to temporarily dedicated one of our compute nodes to a single account. To do this, I was going to create a new partition but I’m running into an error where

scontrol create partition

outputs “scontrol: error: Invalid input: partition  Request aborted” regardless of what parameters I give it. As far as I can tell, this should be allowed; the man page for scontrol has a whole section titled “Partitions – Specficiations for Create, Update, and Delete Commands”. What am I missing?

Also, is there a better way to approach this? This is really just a one or two day thing and I’m a little surprised there’s no easy way to cordon off a node for a user or a project without spinning up an entire partition. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Schneider, Gerald via slurm-users

Jun 10, 2024, 9:17:16 AMJun 10
to slurm...@schedmd.com

Hi Daniel,

you can create a reservation for the node for the said account.

Regards,

Gerald Schneider

--

Gerald Schneider

Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD

Joachim-Jungius-Str. 11 | 18059 Rostock | Germany

Tel. +49 6151 155-309 | +49 381 4024-193 | Fax +49 381 4024-199

gerald.s...@igd-r.fraunhofer.de | www.igd.fraunhofer.de

Long, Daniel S. via slurm-users

Jun 10, 2024, 9:20:22 AMJun 10
to Schneider, Gerald, slurm...@schedmd.com

This looks perfect. Thank you very much.