[slurm-users] Does Slurm have any equivalent to LSF elim for generating dynamic node resources

Amir Ben Avi

Mar 1, 2023, 4:04:53 PM3/1/23
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com

Hi,

I have looked on the Slurm documentation, but didn’t found any way to crate resource dynamically ( in a script ) on the node level

I also saw that Slurm have the feature + gres that can be declare on the node, but those seems static resource tagging

Will also be interesting to know what is the different between feature and gres  in general ?

Thanks for your help,

Amir

Wagner, Marcus

Mar 3, 2023, 4:14:45 AM3/3/23
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com

Hi Amir,

as far as I can tell, there is no way to create resources dynamically.

In general, a gres is a generic resource, e.g. tmp-Space, or whatever could be scheduled and must be restricted by a job.

A feature is more like a binary switch. You could for example set a feature "amd" on all amd nodes and "intel" on all intel nodes. For submission, one can then use --constraint=intel, such that the job will get scheduled onto a node, which has the "intel" feature.
But what you can do with features is, activate or deactivate features. There is a set of features, which you enter for each node in the slurm.conf. Here you could e.g. give EVERY node the "intel" and "amd" feature. You could then e.g. in a nodehealtcheck script deactivate the amd feature, if you are on an intel node.
One can see the difference between the AvailableFeatures ( which you entered in slurm.conf ) and the ActiveFeatures by executing "scontrol show node <nodename>" for the node.

Best
Marcus

Gerhard Strangar

Mar 3, 2023, 12:10:00 PM3/3/23
to slurm...@lists.schedmd.com
Amir Ben Avi wrote:

> I have looked on the Slurm documentation, but didn't found any way to crate resource dynamically ( in a script ) on the node level

Well, basically you could do something like
scontrol update nodename=$HOSTNAME Gres=myres:367. What you don't have
is decaying resource reservations to compensate for the delay between
your elim replacement and job starts.

Gerhard