R: Re: R: Re: [Slum Studies Research Group] Inclusive growth: merely desir... (guardian.co.uk)

cec...@libero.it

Mar 11, 2011, 10:31:26 AM3/11/11
to slum-s...@googlegroups.com

surely, slums are a political issue because of their "illegal" nature ... although we should discuss at this point, on what is "legal" and what is not ... in this regard: the Palestinian refugee camps are "legal" as the Israeli policy of apartheid is "legal" ... Mine was not a provocation, but only an invitation to not only look at the issue from the point of view (necessary!!) provision of services etc ... In short, I consider that slums as a "technical" matter obscures the political dimension. too often the "technical" solution, disguised by "political" rethoric, has resulted in "deportation" ... what interests me is the capacity to make proposals that can come from the slums and their inhabitants, their ability to self-organize, to bring their different point of view and way of life.

ciao

cecilia

Moussa, in which country are you?

Da: LIND...@wpunj.edu
Data: 10/03/2011 20.11
A: <slum-s...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: <slum-s...@googlegroups.com>
Ogg: Re: [Slum Studies Research Group] Inclusive growth: merely desir... (guardian.co.uk)

Thank you for your response, Moussa.  My efforts to get the proverbial 'ball' rolling on the Slum Studies group is beginning to pay-off.  Please feel free to post and invite new members to participate in our discussion.

Delario Lindsey, Ph.D.
Department of Africana-World Studies
Department of Liberal Studies
William Paterson University - New Jersey

On Mar 10, 2011, at 1:13 PM, "Moussa sow" <pn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks Delario for the article. This is an interesting awakening, --if those concerned are awake yet anyway-- So long as the rich think that they can enjoy a stared evening  on a yacht, turning their sight away from the slums made out of their postconsumed goods, frustration is likely to fester and upheavals with uncertain consequences as in Libya--and elsewhere--are likely to continue. Ethical concerns being muffled, I will say that necessity seems to impose itself in a violent way for it to prevail as North Africa has shown us.

my to two cents.

Moussa

Mar 11, 2011, 9:21:48 PM3/11/11
to slum-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cecilia,

I live presenty in the US and i by no means feel provoked, except intellectually. And since I am a literary person and work on documentary ecocinema, I am not in a position to provide a solution to the Slums. However, I have studied the many effects of globalization --in its exclusion meaning--with regards to the amount of waste produced. This waste has a profound impact on Slum dwellers who oftentimes find in the waste exposure to death because of toxic material, but also source of income that fuels visual culture as well as Slum construction material. Indeed Slums expose along a growing population, mainly a failure of public policy and economic systems that cannot accomadate displaced people by putting them in  decent conditions of living. How many years have we witness the fast growth of NGO and UN branches such as Habitat for Humanity, and yet the issues they are supposed to tackle seem insurmountable at a speed way faster than their responses to these urban issues. One starts to wonder who is really benefiting from these organizations with big overheads aimed at securing their own standards of living, leaving little to nothing  trickle to their supposed  constituencies. what do the rest of the group think?

Best,

Moussa

Ogg: Re: R: Re: [Slum Studies Research Group] Inclusive growth: merely desir... (guardian.co.uk)

-->