[SLUG] Wiki suggestions?

DaZZa

Sep 14, 2015, 2:06:18 AM9/14/15
to SLUG
Learned ones,.

I'm looking for a Wiki to setup for the company to make available to
contractors semi-private documents

I don't mind if I have to pay a little for it, but open source would
be most excellent.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for some form of Wiki.

I'd like

1) Secure - two levels of access (view/edit)
2) Lightweight
3) Linux (obviously, 'cause f**k paying Microsoft tax where I don't have to)

It'd be nice if I could integrate it with AD (or at least LDAP query
for usernames/passwords), but that's not critical.

It'd also be nice if I could put some kind of skin or theme on it
customised by the marketing nazi's to make it look all company-ie.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

DaZZa

simran

Sep 20, 2015, 10:24:49 PM9/20/15
to DaZZa, SLUG
You can pay Atlassian instead...

Not free, but very good: https://confluence.atlassian.com/
(go for the server version if you want to install it on one of your own
linux hosts)

Jonathan Molyneux

Sep 20, 2015, 10:41:55 PM9/20/15
to DaZZa, SLUG

James Gray

Oct 3, 2015, 4:09:10 AM10/3/15
to SLUG
I wouldn't describe Confluence as a true wiki any more. They ripped out the
Wiki syntax for editing while ago. The wiki syntax is still supported for
creating documents via API. Confluence is probably best described as an
"Documentation Collaboration" product now. Don't get me wrong; it's still
bloody good at what it does but it isn't a wiki in the strictest sense. If
having the ability to edit plain text offline and be able to dump it into
Confluence and have it formatted nicely, then Confluence isn't the best
option (things may have changed and happy to be corrected here!).

I've always just ended up with MediaWIKI (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki) but there are simpler options
obviously.

Good luck with your hunt :)

--
James

On 14 September 2015 at 18:22, Jonathan Molyneux <

DaZZa

Oct 3, 2015, 6:51:16 PM10/3/15
to James Gray, SLUG
On 21 September 2015 at 13:59, James Gray <ja...@gray.net.au> wrote:
> I wouldn't describe Confluence as a true wiki any more. They ripped out the
> Wiki syntax for editing while ago. The wiki syntax is still supported for
> creating documents via API. Confluence is probably best described as an
> "Documentation Collaboration" product now. Don't get me wrong; it's still
> bloody good at what it does but it isn't a wiki in the strictest sense. If
> having the ability to edit plain text offline and be able to dump it into
> Confluence and have it formatted nicely, then Confluence isn't the best
> option (things may have changed and happy to be corrected here!).

We've already got a Confluence instance for the "inside" - but I (the
business) don't want to put that on the Internet, as it has a lot of
very proprietary information on it -and we don;t want to pay for
another one - hence the search for free version for the "outside" Wiki
(which will be much less detailed and simpler).

> I've always just ended up with MediaWIKI
> (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki) but there are simpler options
> obviously.

I've actually got an instance of that up and running - but getting it
talking to AD for authentication is proving problematic - and I don't
have the resources to dig into it properly.

I'll keep investigating - maybe I can find one which is point and click. :)

Thanks for your input.

Amos Shapira

Nov 18, 2015, 7:22:27 AM11/18/15
to James Gray, slug
I think there is an "edit source" option somewhere there, if you insist on
text syntax. Personally I find its WYSIWYG interface pretty convenient,
compared to the rare times that I find myself correct entries on Wikipedia.