Hear Sen. Malama Solomon Speak at Slow Food Hawaii's Annual Meeting and Potluck

Shelby Floyd

Jan 12, 2011, 1:12:47 PM1/12/11
to slowfoodhawaii
snailheaderpic2.jpgEach year about this time, Slow Food Hawaii conducts some serious business for about a half an hour, and then gets on with our mission of supporting (and sharing) good, clean, fair food and those who provide it.  Last year, almost 90 of you joined us for Sliders in the Barn and a North Kohala forum at Pu'u O Kumau Ranch.  This year we are meeting on Sunday, Jan. 30, at Waiki'i Ranch, on the beautiful Saddle Road.  Newly appointed State Sen. Malama Solomon, who is also a farmer and rancher, has agreed to speak and answer your questions.  Other state and county representatives have been invited as well.  Come join us and share food and your mana`o.

1.  THE FUN PART (10:30 to 12:30 pm)

Our brunch potluck begins at 10:30 in the Waiki'i Ranch Clubhouse.  Bring a dish to share and anything you'd like to drink..  We will provide plenty of coffee (pure Hawaii coffee, of course) and hot and cold tea.  At 11:30 am Sen. Solomon will speak about issues important to us and we will open the floor to questions.

What to bring?  How about some local oranges sliced with local honey and mint; some of that great bacon or sausage you can find at the farmers market in Waimea; banana, zucchini or pipinola bread; stuffed Hamakua mushrooms; local eggs deviled; a strata made with local goat cheese; sliced mangoes (or mango bread!); homemade bread with macnut butter; huevos rancheros. . . .  You get the idea! Something local and delicious.

Most important:  This is a zero waste event: bring all your own plates, utensils, cups, etc.

There is no cost to attend the event, but there will be a calabash for donations to help us cover the expenses (suggested donation $5).

2.  SLOW FOOD HAWAII'S ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING WITH ELECTION OF BOARD

A separate email will go to Slow Food USA members about our business meeting and election of Board which will begin at 10 am at the Clubhouse.

The current board chosen at the 2010 annual meeting consists of:  Shelby Floyd, Clare Bobo, Matilda Tompson, Nicole Milne, Kim Hoffman, Amanda Rieux, Catrinka Holland, Ken Love, Jileen Russell, Marian Solomon (some of whom will not be staying on).  If you would like to become more involved with Slow Food, join our board or work on a committee or event, please let us know by January 21.  Clare Bob and Amanda Rieux are our nominating committee, and they are taking names!  We welcome any level of participation.

3.  DIRECTIONS

From Hilo, take the Saddle Road to the first gate (with gatehouse) at Waiki'i Ranch.   From the West Side, take the Saddle Road towards Hilo, turning in at the second Waiki'i Ranch gate (the one with gatehouse).  Inside the gate, follow the signs to the Clubhouse.  There will be instructions at the gatehouse about how to open the gate.

SLOW FOOD OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ~ `ONO and PONO

snailheaderpic2.jpg