Slow Food News and Events

Clare Bobo

Mar 29, 2011, 1:49:01 AM3/29/11
to slowfoodhawaii
Aloha Kakou,

I had the chance to stop by the Crop Share at Mala'ai this last Saturday. It is a wonderful event that happens every Saturday at the school garden at Waimea Middle School. Last Saturday there were beautiful onions, avocados, oranges, cucumbers, herbs, lettuces and even edible flowers! So bring your excess produce from your farm or home garden to exchange with other community members, and maybe take a tour of the beautiful garden.

Island Naturals in Hilo is celebrating their one year anniversary this Saturday and our own Kim Hoffman will be there with a Slow Food table! She's there from 10-2 so stop by and say hello.

Kuaiwi Farm
in Captain Cook is offering a chocolate making class on April 15th from 9-1. You will learn how to go from cacao bean to beautiful chocolates, enjoy a tour of the farm and plenty of samples. The cost is $45 and is limited to 10 people, all of whom will leave with a goodie bag of chocolates. Please call 328-8888 for reservations.

And this from our busy Leaders on Hilo side:

Sunday, April 10th - 10 AM - Noon

Slow Food Hawaii Tour of Lava Rocks Puna Goat Cheese Farm

Come see the Lava Rocks Puna Goat Cheese Farm in action on a two hour tour, followed by a cheese tasting and potluck. $15 non-members, $10 members.

DIRECTIONS:
>From Hilo:
Hwy 11 to Kurtistown pass the light and go about 1/4 mile up a little hill. You will see Kurtistown Assembly of God Church on RIGHT.
Take a LEFT right across the highway from the church.
Take a LEFT on Kuali St and follow to the STOP sign
Take a RIGHT on the Main Road or 8 Road in Hawaiian Acres
The cross streets are named alphabetically but some signs are missing.
Follow the road to E (there will be an orange E on a telephone pole
Take a RIGHT on E to gravel road
Pass the first intersection and on the 2nd intersection take a LEFT
Lava Rocks Farm Puna Goat Cheese is the 2nd drive - there will be a sign
There is ample parking

>From Volcano:
Drive Hwy 11 to Kurtistown Assembly of God Church on LEFT
and turn RIGHT across the highway from church and follow the rest of the directions above.

Their phone in case anyone needs to ask for better directions: 966 - 8461

Please bring a dish to share for the potluck, including your own plate/utensils/glass, etc.

Please RSVP to Sonia Martinez cuban...@hawaii.rr.com

Your Slow Food Hawaii Leadership team is open to new ideas on classes, tours, events, etc that speak to good, clean, fair food. Please email your ideas to us-we'd love to hear from you!

Aloha,
Clare Bobo
Slow Food Hawaii