I heart bees

Shelby Floyd

Dec 14, 2010, 12:42:28 PM12/14/10
to slowfoodhawaii
More sad tales on the mislabeling of food found in our local stores...

I bees.   Recently I met a vascular surgeon who lives in urban Denver and has a bee hive in her back yard.  She and other SF members there and elsewhere are "bee guardians", dedicated to help preserve diversity in the bee world. They are using a simply designed hive, and a low tech method of processing the honey (mash the honeycomb up and filter through a screen).

From Sonia Martinez:  Only 15 farmers markets on this island have registered with the USDA Government site - we have at least 27 markets on the Big Island, so if you're a Big Island farmers market manager and haven't done so yet, you should fill out this form
http://apps.ams.usda.gov/FarmersMarkets/

For consumers, don't forget the new market at the King's Shops on Wednesday, and be on the watch for the upcoming market at Anna Ranch in Waimea.  Also, holiday hours at the Town Market at Parker School in Waimea:  Thursday, December 23, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and will be closed on Christmas Day, December 25.  The market will also be open on Thursday, December 30, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and will be closed on New Year's Day, January 1, 2011.

There was an excellent Insight program last week on Hawaii public television on Conserving Hawaii's Grazing Lands.  It may still be available online.

B0C.gif