Annual Holiday Potluck, and much more...

1 view

Shelby Floyd

Nov 28, 2010, 1:34:37 PM11/28/10
to slowfoodhawaii
Join us and new and old friends at SFH's Annual Holiday Potluck on Dec. 12, from 1 to 3 pm at the beautiful Anna's Hall (the Teahouse) at Anna Ranch in Waimea!   In addition to celebrating the holiday season, we will be celebrating International Terra Madre Day (officially Dec. 10) with stories and photos of our experience in Italy where we joined thousands of other farmers, chefs and food advocates from around the world.

Please bring a dish which honors our local food producers.  As always bring:  your own plates, eating and serving utensils, napkins, glass or cup.  We will provide water, cold herb tea, and coffee.  You are welcome to bring wine or beer.

There is no cost for Slow Food members, although we will have a calabash at the door for expenses; guests are $15.  Because we have a lot of new members, we may have to limit space, so please RSVP to slowfoo...@gmail.com.

**If you would like to help us decorate, set up or clean up, we'd welcome your help.**

Membership - Slow Food USA has struggled recently with its membership database, but we now have a membership list (as of Nov. 1) if you need information about your membership.  If you are not a member of Slow Food, why not join now with a $25 donation!
Go to www.slowfoodusa.org and hit the Donate link.

Mozzarella for the holidays!  We are starting up our mozzarella workshops again.  The first workshop will be in Waimea on Dec. 9 at 4 pm (they last about two hours).  $15 for members; $25 for non-members (and therefore all the more reason to become a member).  The workshops are limited to eight participants so RSVP to slowfoo...@gmail.com.  Upcoming workshops will be in North Kohala, Hilo and Volcano but we don't have dates yet.

A very informative article Democratizing Food appears in a recent Honolulu Weekly.

Farmers Markets - Sadly, NELHA Market is no more.  However, there are two new Wednesday markets brewing in North Hawaii.  On Wednesday, Dec. 1, and Wednesdays thereafter, from 8:30 to 1:00, there will be a farmers market at the King's Shops in Waikoloa.  For vendor information contact Colene DeMello at Colene....@am.jll.com.  Also, Vicki Dunaway is working to organize a Wednesday afternoon market at Anna Ranch.  For more information, email her at lad...@swva.net.

Upcoming Legislative Session - Hawaii County NPAC's primary legislative focus for this session is Farm to School.  Read more about it here.

Pass these on to your farmer friends:

1.  Hamakua N. Hilo Ag Coop has farm land for lease on the Hamakua Coast

Properties range in size from 5-20 acres.
Long term lease ends 2033.
Irrigation water is available.
Approx. $150 per acre per year plus $300 per year admin costs.
Must  meet qualifications of Hawaii Dept of Ag.
No residential use allowed.
For more information leave message at 775-1107 or email lori...@hawaiiantel.net

2.  Oahu restauranteur looking for vendors for new organic restaurant and retain store

Send your vendor information, list of products, prices and any other recommendations of other farms to participate and also products for the retail store with eco-friendly products such as: recycled, reclaimed, refurbished,technology items such as aquaponics, solar, led lights and organic materials. All items will only be made in Hawaii, Target opening date: July 01, 2011.
Contact Bu Mata (808)741-3620 or email flip...@usa.com

 Finally, hold Sunday, January 30 open for the Slow Food Hawaii annual meeting and potluck.  We are working on location now, so if you want to suggest a place, please do.
03E.gif
055.gif
053.gif
980.gif