Lots of local food news - I heart pigs and bees

1 view

Shelby Floyd

Jan 26, 2011, 1:19:41 PM1/26/11
to slowfoodhawaii
Hot off the press - a breathless piece in Bon Appetit on wild pig (hunting and eating) in Hawaii.  And pig was featured in the fabulous dinner put on at the Mauna Lani with celebrity chefs Michael Simon and Jonathan Waxman (although the article doesn't say that it is local wild pig).  And if you ask your server at Merriman's if the pork or bacon is from wild pig, they will affirm it, although it is not mentioned on the menu because some diners are squeamish (go figure!).  Perhaps with the kind of publicity the Bon Appetit article brings, wild pig will get more respect.

The Four Seasons Hualalai recently hosted a lunch for the food producers who supply the Resort's restaurants, which use about 75% local products, winning our "Way to Go!" award (which I just made up).  Read about it (and see the lovely pictures) here.

 On Sat., Jan. 29, 2011, from 9-11 am, at Waimea Middle School's Culinary Garden, Jenny Bach shares her knowledge about the amazing wonders of bees and bee guardianship.  It's free, sponsored by Mala'ai and The Kohala Center.

And put this on your calendar:  BIG ISLAND HEALING GARDEN & MANGO FESTIVAL 2011
Saturday July 30 2011
10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
The Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort.
The Festival showcases Hawai’I Island’s culture, culinary excellence, healing arts, and features an eco-fashion show, great organic food, cultural presentations, music & entertainment, and the Mango Garden with mango tasting and recipe contests, mango grafting demonstrations and plant sale. A special fund raiser dinner allow celebrity chefs, farmers, visitors and mango lovers to mingle.

Finally, a reminder to bring your own delicious local food to our annual business meeting (for members) and potluck (for everyone) this Sunday at Waikii Ranch on the Saddle Road (about 7 miles east of the junction of Mamalahoa Hwy and Saddle Rd.).  Potluck starts at 10:30 am.  Call (808.351.0723) or email for the gate code.  See you there!