Raw and cooked, stirred and blended, with a deadline thrown in

Clare Bobo

Apr 13, 2011, 6:02:53 PM4/13/11
to slowfoodhawaii

 Don't forget to RSVP if you want to join SFH in Kealakakua for a six course gourmet lunch on April 29.  The terrific students at the Culinary Arts Program at West Hawaii Community College, led by second year student, Dan Cody, will cook and serve a lunch featuring local pork and ending with a dessert using an exotic fruit from the 12 Trees Project.  The cost is $18, and the service starts at 11:30 am.  To reserve your place as part of the SFH group, just reply by email no later than April 19 [new deadline].  Space is limited and this is a great opportunity to get together with Slow Food supporters so put it on your calendar and reply now.  You will pay at the door.

 Ohia Fields Farm in Ahualoa has a few shares remaining for their Spring Season CSA, which begins April 15th - twelve weeks of fresh vegetables and other goodies (including chicken and lamb with the "deluxe" selection) plus a newsletter with recipes delivered to your door in most locations.  They deliver to Waikoloa, Waimea and Honoka'a and all the way down to Hilo, where they have a pick-up point.  Call 430-3847 or e-mail ohiafie...@gmail.com for more information and the options available, or join them on facebook (search "Ohia Fields Farm") to see what they're up to.

Spring definitely offers opportunities for local food.  Kassie and Mark Rogers in Waimea have several yearling sheep and a 28 month old healthy cow for meat, along with some young sheep and a milking goat, and will soon have eggs.  To contact them, call  927-4068 or email kassier...@gmail.com.

We've heard great reports of last week's SFH tour of Lava Rock Goat Dairy Farm in Puna.

 We have also heard of an abundance of sheep milk and cheese in South Kona just now.  If you want to know more, call Steve at 756-7945.

If you support Jamie Oliver's campaign to promote plain milk as part of healthy school lunches, go here.

It's Avocolada Time!

The avocado tree is finally releasing those great, green, bombs, so it is avocolada time at our house.

Recipe (everything is to taste, so tweek it as you will)

One ripe avocado (ours are huge)
1/2 c. coconut milk
Juice of a lime or two
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Sweetener to taste

Put them all in the blender and hit the button.  You can add a couple of ice cubes in the blender to chill down the mix.  Pour into a fancy glass, or do as I do, grab a spoon and eat it all straight from the blender jar.

980.gif