Searching for PLICHTA or PLICHTOVA in Slovakia

Plichta

Nov 8, 2019, 12:43:02 PM11/8/19
to slovak...@googlegroups.com

Now that we have changed over to the Google Groups I’ll start with PLICHTA

I am searching the world for anyone named PLICHTA or PLICHTOVA.

In more than 25 years of searching which included three trips to Slovakia (1984, 1996 and 2006), I search for anyone with these surnames.

I have a total of 99 families with 4,359 individuals.

This file includes 1,441 marriages involving 1,383 surnames over 13 generations.

Some families are small with only 6 individuals.

Most families are averaging 50 individuals.

My family has 350 individuals.

If you have a PLICHTA or PLICHTOVA in your family I would like to hear from you.

Reply to the group or directly to me at pli...@earthlink.net.

I look forward to hearing form you soon.

Frank Plichta

Galax, Virginia

Slovak Roots

Nov 9, 2019, 10:23:38 AM11/9/19
to Slovak Roots
Great idea, Frank! I've started a file of surnames that group members are researching here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19kfaSZF5eDC7gfCsJX1t6dzOB_Jv-sMCQHEiggDPVAg/edit?usp=sharing

Only our group members can access and edit it. Please add the surnames you're researching along with their ancestral towns, using both the historical and modern names, if known. Please be careful not to delete any existing information. Just add your information to the bottom of the sheet.

Frank, would you care to share your list of names with the group?

Thanks!
Keith Riggle
Message has been deleted

Keith Riggle

Nov 9, 2019, 11:45:40 AM11/9/19
to Slovak Roots
Frank, I'm going to copy part of your email about diacritcal marks here so we have it as a reminder.

The diacritical marks are important when you are looking at surnames.  They change the way the word is pronounced and also how it falls in alphabetical order.  I know that we do not use accented marks in the English language but they are very important in foreign languages.  The next time you find your surnames in a Slovak source, please pay special attention to the little marks over the letters.  Without one or more of the marks it becomes a totally different surname.  I would not want you to go off on a tangent and end up with a genealogy of someone else that is not related to you by blood.  You might even recheck your past research for the diacritical marks.  Microsoft Word will allow you to type the marks.  "Enter Symbols" and select the proper letter with the marks.

 I cannot overemphasize the need for the diacritical marks.  I just don’t understand why folks seem to continue to avoid this very important issue with regard to their surnames.  Their historical surnames come from a foreign language.  They are spelled using the foreign alphabet of the other country.  If you wan to do it right then do it RIGHT.  My heart breaks for each of you who have gone down a tangent path.

I agree with you. Please note the diacritical mark in the towns "Veľký Folkmar" and "Nižné Slovinky." There are no diacritical marks on my ancestors' surnames because I have never seen them in the records (baptism, census, marriage, death) that I have found.

Keith Riggle

Plichta

Nov 9, 2019, 12:21:09 PM11/9/19
to Slovak Roots

Keith,

When you ask for “ancestral town” names they can be extensive.

For example:  My town of interest is known today as Košická Belá.  But that name did not comer into use until 1920.  Before that time the village of about 1,014 in the 1970 census was previously known as:

       Year  Village Name

1297    flume Bela

1397    villa Johannis

1440    Janusffalwa, al. N. Zenthwer

1505    Zenthwerfalwa

1553    Szentuerkepe

1580    Hansdorff

1630    Zentvérképe

1650    Bela

1920    Košická Belá

If anyone has not yet visited the archives in Slovakia, then they need to be prepared to deal with a variety of languages.  In my own research, and visits to the archives in 1996 and 2006, I found records written in Slovak, Czech, Magyar, Latin and German.  My finding is that the priests who recorded the data may have been Slovak, Czech, Hungarian, Austrian or German.  So he may have recorded the data in his native language or in Church Latin.

As much as you are able to prepare yourself before you visit the archives, you will find your visit and the data you find, will be more meaningful and productive during your visit.  As a result of my own research, I have collected a variety of foreign language dictionaries.  I go to used book sales at public libraries and they always want to get rid of the old books and replace them with newer editions.  Those older books may often be purchased for as little as $0.50 or $1.00.  Every little bit helps understand the data.  One of my prized purchases is a 4 Inch thick, 1822 Latin dictionary that I paid $1.00 for..

Two last points for your research:

1.       If you can find a three volume set of Vlastivedný Slovaník Obcí Slovensku, published in 1977 by Vydavateľstvo Slovenskej Akadémie Vied, Bratislava.  Snap it up.  It is a treasure trove of location information that you will find helpful in rounding out your village information.

2.       Look for “The Statesman’s Year-Book”  The book is generally available on Amazon.com but they are not inexpensive.  The 2019 edition sells for between $199.99 to $350.01.  You can find older editions for as little as $12.00 but you might find it at a library’s used book sale for al little as $1.00.  Includes timely information (for that year) for countries around the world.  Great Resource.

Frank Plichta

“Searching the world for everyone named PLICHTA or PLICHTOVA”

Keith Riggle

Anabeth Placko Dollins

Nov 9, 2019, 2:57:08 PM11/9/19
to Slovak Roots

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 12:21:09 PM UTC-5, Plichta wrote:

Two last points for your research:

1.       If you can find a three volume set of Vlastivedný Slovaník Obcí Slovensku, published in 1977 by Vydavateľstvo Slovenskej Akadémie Vied, Bratislava.  Snap it up.  It is a treasure trove of location information that you will find helpful in rounding out your village information.

Frank --

A few years I borrowed all three volumes on interlibrary loan from the University of Pittsburgh Library. See https://pittcat.pitt.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?bibId=790872
The books are at other university libraries -- Illinois, UCLA, to name a couple -- but I don't know whether the libraries lend the books or you have to visit them in person.

Note for those looking up the title: the word Dictionary is spelled Slovnik.

Anabeth