Mostly SLO 300k/400k/600k recap and new Team event

SLO RBA

Apr 13, 2022, 12:37:23 AM4/13/22
to SLORando
Fairly warm start for the Mostly SLO 300k/400k/600k brevets leaving SLO but a brisk wind kept us from overheating on the climb up Cuesta grade and the weather in the north part of the county started very pleasant and then got a bit toasty for those of that like our rides at 65F but luckily the course heads back towards the ocean where the temps quite a bit lower. As usual the 400k/600k riders faced stiff winds heading up highway one but at least didn't have to go all the way to Ragged Point before they got to head back towards SLO and a nice loop through the south part of the county. The second day weather was again quite pleasant but this was from the RBA's perspective as he was not riding that day having only done the 300k.  From the riders who did do the 600k there were reports of "good" headwinds on Sunday as well but at least this year no real overnight rain/heavy marine layer like we had in 2021. In total we had 20 riders start the brevets with 4 finishing the 300k, 1 finishing the 400k and 8 finishers on the 600k.  As always lots of thanks to my wife who staffed the control up in the Wine country. Here is a link to my pictures from the day (the 300k route).

We recently added two new events to the SLO RUSA calendar. The first is a Dart Populaire team event on June 25th. This is one of the requirements for the Rouleur Award. We will be starting and finishing at the same time from the Morro Bay Embarcadero, with each team of 3 to 5 bicycles doing a different 120km+ loop with the goal of finishing at the 8 hour window and then gathering some place for refreshments/food. For team events, folks normally will form a team and design a route that meets the Dart rules. Given that this is our first team event I'm happy to help putting riders together to form teams and figuring out routes that work. I believe this is the first team event in the region, hoping that if this goes well we can do others. Please use the  "Anything that you want to let us know?" section of the registration page to tell me info about your team or if you don't have one and would like to join one.  So far it looks like we have 3 to 4 riders interested, hopefully we can get a few more teams worth of riders.

In addition on the following Sunday, June 26th we have a repeat of the 102k San Simeon Coastal Populaire

Since we are almost through our regular events for the SLO region please let me know what rides you would like to see next year or changes to the current routes.  I've had quite a few requests for the Pinnacles Traveler 600k that goes from San Jose to Oxnard, so that's one we are looking to see if we do it in 2023 but it's a bit more challenging as it requires a more support given some of the more remote areas it traverses.

Thanks

Grant McAlister, RBA
San Luis Obispo Randonneurs