[Qhanzi] New "pointer" version

Ben Bullock

Oct 4, 2020, 4:17:03 AM10/4/20
to sljfaq.org, JoleneN
I've made a new version of the JavaScript for qhanzi.com which uses the new pointer event. This should make it accessible to people using touch pens.

The work was delayed for quite a long time due to some work on the server side.

JoleneN

Oct 4, 2020, 6:46:33 PM10/4/20
to Ben Bullock, sljfaq.org
Hi Ben, qhanzi team,
The pen feature worlds great at https://www.qhanzi.com/
Tested on Dell XPS7390 (bought in Feb 2020). Also tested on older Wacom screens. Also tested on Surface laptops 4 and Pro5.
Looking forward to seeing this in production site soon!

thanks, Jolene

Ben Bullock

Oct 4, 2020, 8:23:14 PM10/4/20
to sljfaq.org
Hi Jolene,

Thank you for the confirmation. I will wait about a week to see if I get any problems with users with the new system and then try to get this pointer event done for kanji.sljfaq.org.

Thank you again for the original feedback.

Ben

Ben Bullock

Oct 15, 2020, 5:54:23 AM10/15/20
to sljfaq.org
It looks like there are some problems on Mac / Safari with the new system so I might have to roll it back unless I can debug it somehow.

Ben Bullock

Oct 15, 2020, 11:58:39 PM10/15/20
to sljfaq.org
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 18:54, Ben Bullock <benkasmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
It looks like there are some problems on Mac / Safari with the new system so I might have to roll it back unless I can debug it somehow.

I've been able to confirm that there is some kind of problem with iPhones version 6 and 11 at least with the new page. I don't have any way to debug the thing at the moment, so I'm going to roll back the pen input and restore the old system pending getting some kind of Apple system to check things on.

Arnavion Dash

Oct 16, 2020, 5:52:26 PM10/16/20
to sljfaq.org
Hi Ben,

FYI some Firefox users will also have pointer events disabled for privacy reasons by setting `dom.w3c_pointer_events.enabled` to `false` in `about:config` or their `user.js`. It is part of many "privacy-focused" `user.js` tweaks.

I got it working fine by just reassigning the `.onpointer*` callbacks to the corresponding `.onmouse*` properties while paused in the `DrawKanji` constructor in the browser debugger.

It appears you can test for pointer event support by looking for the global `PointerEvent` object, so maybe you can fall back to setting `.onmouse*` handlers if that isn't defined.

Thanks,
Arnavion

Ben Bullock

Oct 16, 2020, 6:29:25 PM10/16/20
to sljfaq.org
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 06:52, Arnavion Dash <arna...@gmail.com> wrote:
FYI some Firefox users will also have pointer events disabled for privacy reasons by setting `dom.w3c_pointer_events.enabled` to `false` in `about:config` or their `user.js`. It is part of many "privacy-focused" `user.js` tweaks.

I can't cater to people who have altered browser behaviour.

I got it working fine by just reassigning the `.onpointer*` callbacks to the corresponding `.onmouse*` properties while paused in the `DrawKanji` constructor in the browser debugger.

It appears you can test for pointer event support by looking for the global `PointerEvent` object, so maybe you can fall back to setting `.onmouse*` handlers if that isn't defined.

Unfortunately the problem isn't whether there is a solution to the problem but how to test it on Safari.

Ben Bullock

Oct 16, 2020, 8:04:32 PM10/16/20
to sljfaq.org
I've reverted back to the non-pointer-event version of qhanzi.com.

There is a service called browserlive which promises to allow one to test the web application on various browsers, but the cost is more than the cost of buying a device such as an iPad, so probably the way forward is to obtain a second-hand iPad or Mac.