Han 冷

Paul Zecher

Feb 15, 2022, 5:46:03 AM2/15/22
to sljfaq.org

Hi Ben,

Why DID they change  冷 to  冷? Opps... I cut and pasted an old style of kanji and the new one took its place! Was it due to Han Unification??? What happened to the old "Orders" or, this is cold right? 冷 "freeze"- used in refrigerator! Frankly, I liked the old style that appears more of like an elbow, one that you see on top of "manliness" or "courage". Did the Chinese change the style as well? Or are they staying "true" to the old style? Perhaps it was considered less confusing with the new "order" which is what you'd find as one of the elements in "stamp".

With the radical for "page" i think it combines to make "dominion" or "territory", maybe... But that's changed too! The old order has been replaced by the new order! Funny!

Paul

JimBreen

Feb 15, 2022, 5:54:04 AM2/15/22
to sljfaq.org
What you see on your screen depends entirely on the font(s) you have installed.
For that kanji check out the Unihan page: http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=51b7
You'll see the standard and your browser's version.

Jim

Ben Bullock

Feb 15, 2022, 6:39:50 PM2/15/22
to sljfaq.org
First of all apologies for not posting your message sooner. For some reason I was not notified about this message, and only found it when I visited the Google Groups web site.

A useful reference for the different outcomes of Han Unificiation is IDS (https://github.com/cjkvi/cjkvi-ids).

This decomposes

U+51B7 冷 ⿰冫令

and then the right part of this becomes

U+4EE4 令 ⿱亽龴[G] ⿱亼龴[TV] ⿱亼⿱𠃌丨[JK]

where G is mainland China, T is Taiwan, V is Vietnam, and JK is Japan and Korea.

The Han Unification of the original Unicode is something of a problem for my web site qhanzi.com, which deals with all of the original Unicode han characters. There are many other such examples.