[Kanji] Site overhaul test site

Ben Bullock

Mar 23, 2022, 8:03:07 PMMar 23
to sljfaq.org
This is what kanji.sljfaq.org will look like after the overhaul is complete:

https://kanji2022.sljfaq.org/

Almost everything is working, but I haven't implemented the kanji stroke order diagrams or the save image parts on this example site, which will be deleted once the overhaul is complete.

I'm currently thinking of doing this on April 3rd. This is prone to unexpected delays of course.

The information about the overhaul is here:

I'm getting the Japanese version checked at the moment.

As it says at the bottom, any kind of feedback is very welcome.

Ben Bullock

Apr 1, 2022, 5:06:49 PMApr 1
to sljfaq.org
I haven't been able to persuade the person who checks the Japanese to do the job this time around, so I'll be looking for another Japanese checker I think. If any readers are Japanese native speakers, let me know. I will pay for the service.

So anyway I've been distracted by that. What I plan to do is to put the notice up on the web site regardless, and also change the server type over experimentally tomorrow morning and see how it copes. I'll report how it goes here. If that goes OK, the next stage is to quietly switch over to the new stroke-order-independent search, and then I'll add the other stuff later on. I think it will probably take until the end of April to get it all working, so expect lots of messages on this announcement list.

Ben Bullock

Apr 1, 2022, 6:15:31 PMApr 1
to sljfaq.org

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 at 06:06, Ben Bullock <benkasmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
What I plan to do is t... also change the server type over experimentally tomorrow morning and see how it copes.

Since it was quite early when I wrote that I thought I might as well go ahead and do it today, so I've put the server into the new mode which it needs to see what happens. So far it looks alright. kanji.sljfaq.org had a dropoff in use recently so the site is not as busy as it used to be, which might help with this adjustment.

The next step is to upload the new stroke order independent server (I'll call it the SDI server from now on) and rewrite the JavaScript enough to send things its way. I think I can do that today, and it should not disrupt any services at all.

Ben Bullock

Apr 1, 2022, 8:41:34 PMApr 1
to sljfaq.org
On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 at 07:15, Ben Bullock <benkasmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
The next step is to upload the new stroke order independent server (I'll call it the SDI server from now on) and rewrite the JavaScript enough to send things its way. I think I can do that today, and it should not disrupt any services at all.

Sorry, SOI server. The SOI server is now running. You can get away with quite a lot of nonsense with this thing:

new-server.png

Some details if interested:

There was one problem with the logging of messages, which were sent to a non-existent directory, but it should be OK now.

On the kanji2022 site, which is on a different branch in the version control, I've set the JavaScript version to 100, and on the kanji.sljfaq.org site the JS is now 45 (bumped from 43 since I used 44 at kanji2022). People using the old JS will just get sent to the old version of the SOI server.

The bottom message about server updates is not correctly linked up yet. I need a break now but I will get this linked up this morning.

There are lots more things to do to get the site into good shape, but this step of changing the server type was the one I was worried about the most, and it seems to have gone quite OK.

Ben Bullock

Apr 2, 2022, 6:12:05 PMApr 2
to sljfaq.org
So far the site change has gone extremely smoothly. I was not sure what would happen if I did this upgrade but at the moment there are absolutely no problems whatsoever, except for some small issues with log file rotations.

I think I'll just go ahead with the rest of the changes to the site some time this week.