[kanji] Linked site changes: remove Tangorin, add Kanjipedia

Ben Bullock

May 2, 2022, 12:25:18 AM5/2/22
to sljfaq.org
I'm removing the links to Tangorin online dictionary from kanji.sljfaq.org. The site seems to be very flaky and I could not work out what URL to use for searches, and the content is just a duplicate of WWWJDIC / Jisho.org etc. so I've got rid of that. The changes will not be reflected on the website for a bit since the old software is still running, but it will be gone fairly soon. If I can work out what is happening I can restore it of course.

I'm also adding the Kanjipedia site. This is the site belonging to the Kanken (Kanji Kentei) people. The URLs are a sequence of incomprehensible digits, as I have mentioned before, but there is a search page on their site which seems to accept normal Unicode search strings, so I think that might be useful to add. It's already added to the static kanji pages for Japanese users.

I'm also disabling the possibility for the input box to go to single-kanji sites, so if the user has the "mojinavi" site chosen as their link destination, and then switches on the search box, they won't be sent to Mojinavi when they search for a string, but rather a default site, probably WWWJDIC or the Goo dictionary/Wiktionary if the page language is Japanese. I'm also going to try to disable the options for the single-kanji-sites on the options page when the user does switch this option on, but that work is not started yet.

All of this work will be finalised together with the upgrade of the redirection page from the current one.

I'm also planning to do some kind of error-handling for the Japanese kanji dictionary which will send users to whatever page seems best if they, for example, type in a URL.

Ben Bullock

May 2, 2022, 5:47:21 PM5/2/22
to sljfaq.org
Regarding the kanji dictionary, I've fixed a bug in the local kanji dictionary where a kanji would be listed as having itself as component and a nearly empty section was being created, for example https://kanji.sljfaq.org/k/u627F.html had a section of kanji which include it as a component listing only itself. That's gone now.