SLiM 4.0 beta 1 released; PEQG/KITP

Ben Haller

Jun 4, 2022, 12:25:12 PM6/4/22
to slim-discuss
Hi everyone!  I have a big announcement to make today:

A "beta" prerelease version of SLiM 4.0, adding support for multispecies simulations of eco-evolutionary dynamics and evolutionary ecology, is now available.  All information and resources for the beta release is on SLiM's home page at https://messerlab.org/slim/, near the top of the page; please go there to find out more.  That page will be updated with new information as needed.

I will be at PEQG and KITP presenting on SLiM 4, and would be happy to meet up with current and prospective SLiM users to chat and to model.  Feel free to send me an email to link up, at bha...@mac.com.

Happy modeling!

Cheers,
-B.

Benjamin C. Haller
Messer Lab
Cornell University

Peter Ralph

Jun 5, 2022, 4:43:55 PM6/5/22
to Ben Haller, slim-discuss
Going along with this pre-release is a beta pre-release of pyslim:
https://pypi.org/project/pyslim/1.0b1/ - if you'd like to do things in
python to tree sequences from SLiM 4.0, you'll probably want this. Let
me know if you encounter any issues!

But: pyslim is much less necessary than it used to be, as much of its
functionality (eg reading of metadata) has moved into core tskit - so,
you no longer need to create a SlimTreeSequence, and you can do many
things with only tskit. pyslim is mostly useful for making
SLiM-specific operations like preparing an msprime-produced simulation
to be loaded in to SLiM.

** peter