writeFile Stream Errors

bcar...@mtroyal.ca

Jun 15, 2021, 9:13:55 PM6/15/21
to slim-discuss

Some of my simulations have encountered this error:

#WARNING (Eidos_ExecuteFunction_writeFile): function writeFile() encountered stream errors while writing to file at path ${REDACTED_PATH}.

Is it safe to assume that the file, overall, is corrupt in some way? For instance, would any lines of output being appended to the file (I'm using append=T in the writeFile() function) be missing?

Should I re-run any simulations that encountered this error?

Regards,

Bryce.

Ben Haller

Jun 15, 2021, 9:38:08 PM6/15/21
to slim-discuss
Hi Bryce!  Well, it's anybody's guess what caused this.  To be safe, I would assume that something did go wrong that corrupted the file contents; but that might not, in fact, be the case.  Just better safe than sorry, so if you don't have a way to tell that the file contents are OK, then you should probably assume that they aren't.  :->

If you have a reproducible case that triggers this for no apparent reason, then of course please report it as an issue on GitHub.  But presumably some things could happen that would legitimately cause such errors: running out of disk space, deleting/moving/renaming the file mid-simulation, permissions errors (file exists but is not writeable by you), etc.

Cheers,
-B.

Benjamin C. Haller
Messer Lab
Cornell University

bcar...@mtroyal.ca

Jun 16, 2021, 12:11:37 AM6/16/21
to slim-discuss
Woopsie. Gotta love HPC. I was using a folder where the CGROUP is disk quota is full. Filled up a 1T quota when I have a personal allocation of 20T that is totally empty. :( Gotta resubmit those simulations.