curious asymmetry in mutation frequencies

Rupert Mazzucco

Apr 19, 2024, 7:57:38 AMApr 19
to slim-discuss
I am observing a curious asymmetry in simulated mutation frequencies with respect to selection coefficients in a symmetric 1-locus model. The attached plot shows median frequency differences from the starting frequency of 50% over 30 replicates at the symmetrically placed target position after 100 generations as a function of the absolute value of the selection coefficent. Why do negative selection coefficients cause a larger frequency change than the corresponding positive coefficients, is this supposed to be so?

Still on SLiM 4.0.1 (the copr repo seems to be defunct?)

Many thanks
Rupert
1loc.slim
absFreqDiff_absSel_initFreq0.5.png

Philipp Messer

Apr 19, 2024, 8:27:24 AMApr 19
to Rupert Mazzucco, slim-discuss
Hi Rupert,

In the Wright-Fisher model with selection, the expected absolute change in allele frequency shouldn't actually be exactly the same for positive and negative s. Even in the haploid model, we have E[Delta_x] = sx(1-x)/(1-sx). Thus, for a biallelic locus with alleles A and B, when A has selection coefficient s over allele B, this is not exactly equivalent to B having selection coefficient -s over A. I know this might feel a bit unsatisfying, but it's what it is in the WF model, and I think it explains your observation unless I misunderstood something.

Best,
Philipp

--
SLiM forward genetic simulation: http://messerlab.org/slim/