Workshop at Harvard University in Cambridge, MA, May 18-22, 2020

Ben Haller

Jan 18, 2020, 11:44:27 AM1/18/20
to slim-announce
Hi all.

May 18-22, 2020, a five-day SLiM workshop will be offered at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, USA).  It will be hosted by Daren Card and Timothy Sackton, of Harvard.  It will be free, and open to participants outside of the university.  HOWEVER, registration is required, a limited number of seats are available, and a set portion of seats will be given to registrants affiliated with Harvard.  To apply, please send an email to ALL OF Daren, Timothy, and myself (dc...@fas.harvard.edu, tsac...@g.harvard.edu, bha...@mac.com) with the info below.  Priority for Harvard applicants will end on 15 February; after that date it will be first-come-first-served for all remaining seats so that we can notify everyone of their acceptance in time to make travel arrangements.  Early application is advised; these workshops have been filling to capacity.

As background: SLiM is a software package for creating evolutionary models/simulations that are individual-based and genetically explicit.  It is scriptable, flexible, fast, and includes an interactive graphical modeling environment.  You can read more about it on its home page (https://messerlab.org/slim/).

For this workshop, your application email should include: (1) your name, (2) your university or institutional affiliation, (3) a link to a research website or similar academic page, if you have one, (4) a 1-2 sentence description of your level of experience with SLiM and any other forward genetic simulation software, if any, (5) a 1-2 sentence summary of why you want to attend the workshop (i.e., the connection to your research), and (6) 1-2 sentences about any specific topics within SLiM that you hope to learn about in the workshop.  Note that you will be responsible for your own lodging and your own transportation.  Please do not apply to the workshop unless you are sufficiently serious that you will actually attend, if accepted.

The plan is to cover all the major topics in the SLiM manual, starting with lots of introductory material to get beginners up to speed with SLiM and its associated scripting language Eidos, and ending up at advanced topics like non-Wright-Fisher models, tree-sequence recording, continuous-space models, and nucleotide-based models.  We won't cover everything in the manual – that would be overwhelming! – but we'll try to cover all the big topics.  There will also be time for attendees to work on their own models with help from me, and we may also have time to explore some optional side topics that are of particular interest to those attending each workshop.  The workshop will be taught principally using SLiMgui on macOS.  Every attendee will need their own Mac laptop.  Loaner Mac laptops are unlikely to be available for this workshop; running macOS inside VirtualBox on another operating system is also possible, but please make sure that this works for you before registering.  (A Mac is required to run SLiMgui, which is necessary for teaching purposes.)

I'm hoping to continue doing workshops in future; if you would like to invite me to give a workshop at your institution, please send me an email (off-list).

Cheers,

Benjamin C. Haller
Messer Lab
Cornell University