Upcoming workshops and conferences

Ben Haller

May 17, 2019, 2:14:29 PM5/17/19
to slim-announce
Hi everybody!

FIRST, I want to announce two SLiM workshops coming up this summer/fall:

- August 12-16, 2019, a five-day SLiM workshop will be offered at Umeå University (Umeå, Sweden).  It will be hosted by Åke Brännström and Xiao-Ru Wang, both of Umeå University.  It will be free, and open to participants outside of the university.  HOWEVER, registration is required, a limited number of seats are available, and priority will be given to registrants affiliated with Umeå.  To apply, please send an email to all three of us (ake.bra...@umu.se, xiao-r...@umu.se, bha...@mac.com) with the info below.  The deadline for applying is the end of the day on 1 July.

- September 9-13, 2019, a five-day workshop will be offered at UEA, the University of East Anglia (Norwich, UK).  It will be hosted by Simone Immler, of UEA.  It will be free, and open to participants outside of the university.  HOWEVER, registration is required, a limited number of seats are available, and priority will be given to registrants affiliated with UEA.  To apply, please send an email to both of us (S.Im...@uea.ac.uk, bha...@mac.com) with the info below.  The deadline for applying is the end of the day on 1 August.

For either workshop, your application email should include: (1) your name, (2) your university or institutional affiliation, (3) a link to a research website or similar academic page, if you have one, (4) a 1-2 sentence description of your level of experience with SLiM and any other forward genetic simulation software, if any, (5) a 1-2 sentence summary of why you want to attend the workshop (i.e., the connection to your research), and (6) 1-2 sentences about any specific topics within SLiM that you hope to learn about in the workshop.  Note that you will be responsible for your own lodging and your own transportation.  Please do not apply to a workshop unless you are sufficiently serious that you will actually attend, if accepted.  Note that acceptance will likely be first-come-first-served (apart from the priority for those from the hosting institution), so early application is advised.

This will be my first time giving SLiM workshops; it's an exciting opportunity and should be lots of fun.  The plan is to try to cover all the major topics in the SLiM manual, starting with lots of introductory material to get beginners up to speed with SLiM and Eidos, and hopefully ending up at advanced topics like non-Wright-Fisher models, tree-sequence recording, continuous-space models, and nucleotide-based models.  We won't cover everything in the manual – that would be overwhelming! – but we'll try to cover all the big topics.  There will also be time for attendees to work on their own models with help from me, and we may also have time to explore some optional side topics that are of particular interest to those attending each workshop.  The workshops will be taught principally using SLiMgui on macOS.  For the Sweden workshop, we will have a classroom arranged with Macs at each seat; for the UK workshop it looks like attendees will need to bring their own Mac laptops.  (A Mac is required to run SLiMgui, which is necessary for teaching purposes.)

I'm hoping to continue doing workshops in future; if you would like to invite me to give a workshop at your institution, please send me an email (off-list).

SECOND, I want to announce that I will be at two conferences this summer:

- Evolution + iEvoBio (Providence, RI, USA), June 21-26, 2019

- ESEB (Turku, Finland), August 19-24, 2019

I am always happy to meet up with SLiM users at conferences, to answer questions or help with modeling problems; please feel free to send me an email (off-list) to set up a meeting.  I will also be giving talks on SLiM at both of those conferences, and may have a table set up during poster sessions (to be determined).

I hope to see you all at one of these events!

Cheers,
-B.

Benjamin C. Haller
Messer Lab