Git Hub.

Tim Cunningham

Apr 14, 2011, 9:40:27 AM4/14/11
to SlideSix Open Source
Git Hub is one of the easiest way to get started with Git. They have
very clear instructions and tutorials on the basics. If you want a
definitive guide to Git check out the free online book: http://progit.org/

Command line is still the best way work with GIT in my opinion, but an
extremely good GUI tool is

SmartGit: http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/ it is free for non-
commercial use.

Also there is the egit plugin for eclipse/cfbuilder, it is not yet a
1.0 version, so it lacks many features, but is completely usuable and
free.

Thanks,

Tim Cunningham

Todd Sharp

Apr 14, 2011, 10:02:10 AM4/14/11
to SlideSix Open Source
Thanks Tim - I'll check those out. I do have a Git Hub account and
set up a few repos but haven't checked anything in yet. I'll try to
get that done this weekend. I'll check out SmartGit and the plugin -
just simple checkin/checkout will be enough to get me off and running
for now.

Robert Zehnder

Apr 14, 2011, 1:59:03 PM4/14/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
If I can use github, anyone should be able to do it, I am from Mississippi so I am not that bright. :)

I also have a couple private git repos up running on linux with gitolite, so you do have the option of setting up your own.  The ease of access with github though is a no brainer.  As Tim said, forking is extremely easy and submitting a pull request for the upstream repo is just as easy.

I look forward to helping out.

CF Mitrah

Apr 18, 2011, 1:31:00 AM4/18/11
to SlideSix Open Source
Hi,

If you are a SVN guy, I bet, you already familiar with Tortoise SVN
client.
Tortoise GIT is a open source GUI client for windows & have same
simple functionality as Tortoise SVN.

-CF Mitrah

Todd Sharp

Apr 18, 2011, 8:22:56 AM4/18/11
to SlideSix Open Source
Thanks Mitrah. I'm going to check that out because I'm definitely a
bit over my head in learning Git at this point. Hopefully Tortoise
will help ease the pain. I really would like to get this code checked
in ASAP.

Rachel Lehman

Apr 18, 2011, 9:31:29 AM4/18/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Tortoise is definitely the way to go... we actually use it with Mercurial/Kiln. We set up the Eclipse client because we really like working with Mylyn but we end up doing most of the work with Tortoise. It's faster and it gives you more insight into what's happening.
We switched from CVS (although most of us had used SVN before too) to Mercurial and it was a rather difficult adjustment for our team, but mostly because of the way we set up our repositories. We used the Fog Creek-recommended method of setting up Dev, Test and Prod repos, then doing development in Dev and pushing up, and bug fixes (more like hot fixes) in Prod and pushing down. Getting into a rhythm with that was difficult and we ended up with some merge nightmares. But once we got past that, it started working out well.
Even though it's about Mercurial/Hg and not Git, the ideas on this site may be helpful: http://hginit.com/00.html.

If I was going to make one recommendation, it would be to start out as a single team member with a single repository until you get used to it, then gradually work in more committers and more repos when you are comfortable. You think that "ok, I have to commit, then push" sounds simple, until you run into all the questions about pushing between repositories and running into conflicts with team members and such.

Hope that helps - good luck!

Rachel Lehman

Bob Silverberg

Apr 18, 2011, 12:10:11 PM4/18/11
to SlideSix Open Source
Todd,

I know a fair bit about Git. If you want some hands-on help getting
things set up just let me know. We can IM or Skype and probably get it
done in fairly short order.

Cheers,
Bob

todd sharp

Apr 18, 2011, 1:22:40 PM4/18/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Bob:

Thanks to the Tortoise GIT suggestions I've just now got a working copy up on GitHub (will blog more in short order)...

For some reason I can *not* get the .settings folder to "go away" - not a deal breaker at this point though.

I'd still love some hands-on info on Git if you're willing.  Can I take you up on that in the near future?

Todd

Todd Sharp
Sharp Interactive, LLC
http://slidesix.com -- Multimedia Enabled Presentation Sharing
IM:  cfsi...@gmail.com
Blog:  http://cfsilence.com
Twitter: @cfsilence | @slidesix

Bob Silverberg

Apr 18, 2011, 2:16:45 PM4/18/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing!
Bob Silverberg
www.silverwareconsulting.com

Joe Brislin

Apr 19, 2011, 11:05:39 AM4/19/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Todd,

I saw this visual cheat sheet for Git that might help you get ramped up.

http://www.ndpsoftware.com/git-cheatsheet.html

Thanks,
Joe

todd sharp

Apr 19, 2011, 11:24:05 AM4/19/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
That *is* nice -- once I get up to speed on what all those terms mean.  I'll be sure to keep that bookmarked!