Feature Additions

Todd Sharp

Apr 19, 2011, 5:30:29 PM4/19/11
to SlideSix Open Source
I've been thinking of a few ideas for quite a long time that have
never made it into SlideSix. Here's a quick rundown off the top of my
head:

*Scheduling presentations

This would be a quick (think KISS) way for presenters to put links to
upcoming presentations. These could be broadcast via the SlideSix
desktop app or via Connect - or wherever. But it'd be a nice way to
keep viewers in the loop on the material.

Scheduling would also be a nice way to tie into...

*Conference Support

I've always wanted to give our community conferences and events their
own 'spot' on the site where they can get promotion as well as reach a
broader audience with their material. I know a lot of them spend a
lot of time on promoting via their own channels, but could it hurt to
give them one more avenue? The value add here is obvious - they get
to have their conference slides all in one central spot in a standard
format. Here's what I'm thinking I'd give them (again - the KISS
principle applies):

Conference/Event Page:

*logo badge
*personalized banner
*event name
*event description
*organizers
*tracks/categories
*price?
*end date
*location (venue, city)
*schedule?
*contact info
*associated speaker profiles (via direct invite)
*external 'more info' type link(s)

So what do you all think? If you know any event organizers I'd love
their feedback as well.

The plan would be to integrate management of these features within the
management console.

Raymond Camden

Apr 19, 2011, 5:35:56 PM4/19/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Scheduling presos - hmm. I'd maybe do it. I could imagine my profile showing my upcoming presos. If I could get an embed like you provide for "My Slides", I'd really consider it then.The broadcast part wouldn't interest me at all. I'd basically use it as a quick way to show people what I'm doing next.

Conferences/Events -
I think this could rock. You should maybe also offer custom URLs, ie

A bit long, but easy to remember.

todd sharp

Apr 19, 2011, 5:40:08 PM4/19/11
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Raymond Camden <r...@camdenfamily.com> wrote:
Scheduling presos - hmm. I'd maybe do it. I could imagine my profile showing my upcoming presos. If I could get an embed like you provide for "My Slides", I'd really consider it then.The broadcast part wouldn't interest me at all. I'd basically use it as a quick way to show people what I'm doing next.

Oh yeah - embed - that's another feature that I'd like to keep.  It's not been ported yet.

Conferences/Events -
I think this could rock. You should maybe also offer custom URLs, ie

A bit long, but easy to remember.

Great idea.  I'll have to dig up your RIAForge code to steal - er - re-purpose how you handled that without dropping down to the server and DNS records to handle the subdomain.

Todd Sharp
Sharp Interactive, LLC
http://slidesix.com -- Multimedia Enabled Presentation Sharing
IM:  cfsi...@gmail.com
Blog:  http://cfsilence.com
Twitter: @cfsilence | @slidesix

Rachel Lehman

Apr 20, 2011, 12:48:43 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Love the idea for Conference pages! It's great to be able to find all the presentations from a conference in one organized place. Conference websites tend to come/go/evolve, so even if you may have access to presos there right after the conference, you may not a few months or a year later. I have a feeling conference organizers would also use it a lot too (it's probably easier for them than building a page and uploading the presos themselves.

Kind of ho-hum about the scheduling presos idea. I think it's a small fraction of the users who would have enough content to make that feature worthwhile. But then, maybe I'm not getting it :)

Rachel Lehman

Todd Sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 12:50:51 PM4/20/11
to SlideSix Open Source
In thinking about conferences a little more I wonder if there is any
value to the existing 'Groups' feature or if it should be simply
modified to be conference.

Should conference 'owners' have the ability to add users directly to
the 'presenter' list (aka 'group membership') without their permission
(with 'opt out')?

Should they be able to add existing presentations directly to the
conference without the creator's permission (with opt out as well)?

I ask the above 2 questions because it seems burdensome to require
presenters to do this themselves.

Also, what if a presenter is not registered for the site? Should the
conference organizer be able to upload the presentation themselves?
In that case would they have the ability to give credit to the
original presenter?

I think the key is to make this as easy as possible - and requiring
30+ speakers to register and associate their slides with a conference
has seemed to be a barrier in the past (based on my experience with
trying to have presenters use 'groups' for their slides).

todd sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 12:54:25 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com

Kind of ho-hum about the scheduling presos idea. I think it's a small fraction of the users who would have enough content to make that feature worthwhile. But then, maybe I'm not getting it :)

That's cool - I appreciate the feedback.  Was just wondering if it would be a way to tie things together with Meetups or User Groups (or even conferences), but you're likely right - it would probably not be used by many folks.

Rachel Lehman

Apr 20, 2011, 1:03:23 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
My thoughts:

Should conference 'owners' have the ability to add users directly to
the 'presenter' list (aka 'group membership') without their permission
(with 'opt out')?
-- Yes, but maybe only list their name and not automatically create them an account? Sort of like inviting a non-Facebook member to a Facebook event. Then if that person signs up with a matching email, they are automatically linked to related events.

Should they be able to add existing presentations directly to the
conference without the creator's permission (with opt out as well)?
-- If by opt-out, you mean that the conference Admin can opt-out of accepting a submission, I like that idea. In other words, anyone can add a presentation but the conference admin can moderate the submissions. Keeps it easy to add stuff, but controllable.

Also, what if a presenter is not registered for the site?  Should the
conference organizer be able to upload the presentation themselves?
In that case would they have the ability to give credit to the
original presenter?
-- I would hold off on this one. I think it gets you into territory of feature complexity you don't want to be in :) Presenters should sign up and upload their own presentation. If they are concerned about emails, etc - well - they can always opt out of those, and it's not like SS is sending out tons of mail. Don't most conferences require you to upload your own stuff to like, an FTP server anyway? Using SS would make it easier.

I think the key is to make this as easy as possible - and requiring
30+ speakers to register and associate their slides with a conference
has seemed to be a barrier in the past (based on my experience with
trying to have presenters use 'groups' for their slides).
-- I think the best way to get past a registration barrier would be to implement Google accounts or Facebook Connect sign up.

HTH!
Rachel Lehman

Camden, Raymond

Apr 20, 2011, 1:23:42 PM4/20/11
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Rachel Lehman <rael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My thoughts:
> Should conference 'owners' have the ability to add users directly to
> the 'presenter' list (aka 'group membership') without their permission
> (with 'opt out')?
> -- Yes, but maybe only list their name and not automatically create them an
> account? Sort of like inviting a non-Facebook member to a Facebook event.
> Then if that person signs up with a matching email, they are automatically
> linked to related events.

Yeah - and the UI would make it obvious that the preso was uploaded by
X on behalf of Y.

todd sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 1:28:37 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
I think Rachel was talking about adding users, not presentations.  Later in her response she mentioned that 'proxy' uploading what create complexities -- I tend to share her belief.

Camden, Raymond

Apr 20, 2011, 1:30:25 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Why would I bother adding a user? If I'm the conference organizer, and
you are s speaker, and you _dont_ give me your preso, there is no real
need for me to add Todd Sharp as a part of the conference.

Now if you gave me your preso then I'd see adding your preso and your
name there. Ie, it's just a property of the preso.

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master

Email : r...@camdenfamily.com
Blog : www.coldfusionjedi.com
AOL IM : cfjedimaster

todd sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 1:45:29 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
I see having a list of conference 'presenters' on the site as a way to promote the event.  Why does cf.objective list their speakers?  Because people want to know...

Think of it in terms of groups and group memberships.  On SlideSix today a user has to request to join a group (and membership can be either via approval or automatic based on the settings in the group).  Would it make sense to give the group owner (in this case the conference organizer) be able to auto add existing slidesix members to the membership list.

I'm mainly thinking of cases where the presenter already has an account on the site -- should the organizer be able to add them as a "group member" or in terms of conferences "presenter" at that event.

Camden, Raymond

Apr 20, 2011, 1:50:04 PM4/20/11
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM, todd sharp <to...@cfsilence.com> wrote:
> I see having a list of conference 'presenters' on the site as a way to
> promote the event.  Why does cf.objective list their speakers?  Because
> people want to know...

And every single conference in the world already maintains a list on
their own site. As an organizer, I'm not going to maintain two lists.

SlideSix shines in hosting presos. So I'd glady upload Bob's preso if
he is too lazy to do so. I'm not going to go add Bob to a list of
speakers though. KISS. I upload the preso and in a field that says "On
Behalf of": I credit him.

todd sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 1:59:58 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Good points.

Also makes me wonder how to integrate this properly without adding a feature that someone who downloads the project doesn't want.  Maybe have a flag to turn it on/off?

Or should I not be concerned with that (IE: if they don't want it they pull it out themselves).

Camden, Raymond

Apr 20, 2011, 2:02:21 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

robbhartzog

Apr 20, 2011, 2:05:17 PM4/20/11
to SlideSix Open Source
I think if conference organizers just mentioned to each presenter that
it would be nice for them to upload their slides to slidesix.com that
would be enough. Even give them a link if they don't have it already.
And then on the site, just asking the presenter if this is tied to a
conference or not and we maintain the simple list of them. Then
viewers could go to slidesix.com and view all presentations that were
uploaded and associated with a particular conference.

Does that make sense?
> Sharp Interactive, LLChttp://slidesix.com-- Multimedia Enabled Presentation Sharing
> IM:  cfsile...@gmail.com

todd sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 2:18:04 PM4/20/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
That's essentially exactly how 'Groups' work today Robb.  I'm OK with mimicking that functionality for conferences and extending the details for the conferences - just didn't know if folks thought that was 'enough'.

The only thing missing is the 'proxy' uploading by organizers - which really wouldn't need _anything_ changed (they'd just simply upload to the organizer account) -- if anything the 'credit' is a field or two (name/link) for the original presenter.

Personally, code wise, this is the *easiest* route...