Design Ideas

Todd Sharp

Apr 19, 2011, 10:38:47 AM4/19/11
to SlideSix Open Source
Robb Hartzog has offered his help on the layout and design so I
thought I'd start a thread here so anyone interested can
collaborate.

I'm ok with posting the domain name idea here since I doubt many
'poachers' will be paying attention to this group. I'm thinking
something along the lines of RIASlides.com -- but am open to
suggestions. Any thoughts on this? I'd love to see some logo
concepts around the dev/ria theme -- as well as a simple 'slidesix'
logo that can be used somewhere on the site to tie the front end back
to the project.

As far as the design goes I'm pretty open to suggestions. I'd like
something clean yet impressive. I think the home page should be
'informational' yet have content as well -- thumbnails from recent
presos/users/groups. Also a section to highlight the 'project' behind
the site.

For content I'm thinking that list pages should be a 'gallery' style
as opposed to the 'list' style that I currently use on slidesix.com --
but maybe an option to toggle between gallery/list?

The user/group detail pages should be a typical profile type page.
The presentation view page currently has a design in progress - but
it's not much to look at. Again, I'm open to ideas and
interpretations :)

Robert Hartzog

Apr 19, 2011, 12:27:46 PM4/19/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Here's just a few quick ideas that may spark some brainstorming.

logoideas.png

todd sharp

Apr 19, 2011, 12:56:34 PM4/19/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
Wow man - those are really cool - can not believe you came up with something that quickly!

What does everyone think?
--
Todd Sharp
Sharp Interactive, LLC

Raymond Camden

Apr 19, 2011, 5:27:02 PM4/19/11
to slidesix-o...@googlegroups.com
DevSlides? GeekSlides?

Todd Sharp

Apr 19, 2011, 5:32:03 PM4/19/11
to SlideSix Open Source
GeekSlides - I kinda like that...

On Apr 19, 5:27 pm, Raymond Camden <r...@camdenfamily.com> wrote:
> DevSlides? GeekSlides?

robbhartzog

Apr 19, 2011, 5:44:11 PM4/19/11
to SlideSix Open Source
OpenSlide?

Todd Sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 10:53:54 AM4/20/11
to SlideSix Open Source
Robb:

How much trouble would it be to change the text in the logo later on?
Could we just go with 'GeekSlides' instead of RIASlide and make a
change later if needed?

If that's cool with you then I'm good with moving forward with the
design you have for now.

I was also wondering if you are thinking of helping out with the site
layout/css as well?

robbhartzog

Apr 20, 2011, 11:15:32 AM4/20/11
to SlideSix Open Source
No trouble at all Todd. I actually already started on a design idea
for the GeekSlides logo. I'll try to refine it tonight and get
another sample uploaded.

Once we're finalized on the logo, we can put the PSD file up on Google
Docs or maybe a new git repo for project files, up to you.

I'd definitely like to help with the layout/css. Once I get a clear
picture of the site we are building, we can mock up some site designs.

Todd Sharp

Apr 20, 2011, 10:39:02 AM4/20/11
to SlideSix Open Source
I'd rather stick with a domain that focuses on the fact that the
relaunched site will be 'by developers, for developers' -- Open Slide
would make more sense as a 'project' name, but I kinda think
'slidesix' already has some name recognition so I think it makes sense
to stick with that as the project name. Make sense?

Todd Sharp

Apr 21, 2011, 8:47:21 AM4/21/11
to SlideSix Open Source

> I'd definitely like to help with the layout/css. Once I get a clear
> picture of the site we are building, we can mock up some site designs.

What can I do to help you out with this? If you pull down a zip and
set up a DSN and plug that DSN in the settings and Application.cfc you
should be able to get the app up and running (including some sample
data that gets pre-populated). It might also help to have a look at
some of the existing pages to see if it helps:

Homepage: http://slidesix.com/

Presentation list view: http://slidesix.com/presos/mostRecent/

User list: http://slidesix.com/users/newest/

Group list: http://slidesix.com/groups/newest/

As I said - Rachel has suggested in the past that the list views might
be better off with a gallery style layout (like this maybe?
http://www.slideshare.net/latest). I tend to agree with her.

User view: http://slidesix.com/user/cfjedimaster

Presentation view: http://slidesix.com/view/Introduction-to-jQuery-Mobile

Group view: http://slidesix.com/group/cfunited-2010

Does that help get your mind going? You (and anyone on the list
really) can feel free to hit me up on IM if you want to discuss more -
I'm cfsilence@gmail on gtalk or cfsilence on AIM.

Todd Sharp

Apr 21, 2011, 8:50:25 AM4/21/11
to SlideSix Open Source
I also should mention that I'm totally open to your (and others) ideas.  Do not feel in any way that you have to stick with anything I've done on SlideSix.  Change is good - unless you think something I did is utterly amazing (ha!) then feel free to share your own vision.  Your portfolio shows you know what you're doing, so I trust you'll deliver something amazing!

Oh - and the Flex/AIR bits I assume we can skin at a later time to match the theme/color scheme we end up going with on the front end, so again, don't feel restricted in to trying to make something 'fit'.