Wow - enough interest?

Ben Balbo

Jun 8, 2009, 11:10:48 PM6/8/09
to Slideshow Karaoke Melbourne
So we have 11 members now, within an hour of this group being started,
so I'd suggest there's definitely enough interest in this.

Next thing we need to work out is where and when we meet up. I know
some of you, and we're a geographically diverse mob, so perhaps a
close-to-CBD location would be a good idea.

Does anyone know of any pubs with presentation rooms available? I've
emailed Loop, Web Standards Melbourne's current venue, who have AV
facilities and a bar. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any particular days they'd prefer to have this event
held? Personally Mondays are best, especially once I start working
from home (100km from Melbourne) Wed-Fri.

Cheers
BB

Patrick Donelan

Jun 8, 2009, 11:18:05 PM6/8/09
to slideshow-kar...@googlegroups.com
Rock on!

Glitch Bar in Fitzroy might be a nice venue, if that's not too far from the CBD.

Cheers,

Patrick
http://patspam.com

Tammy

Jun 8, 2009, 11:24:39 PM6/8/09
to Slideshow Karaoke Melbourne
Hi Ben,
Sounds like a great idea!
Close to the CBD sounds good to me :D
Monday's are great.

Not too sure about venues but I do have a projector I can bring along
if needed!

Cheers
Tammy

Avi Miller

Jun 8, 2009, 11:28:05 PM6/8/09
to slideshow-kar...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Ben Balbo wrote:
> Does anyone know of any pubs with presentation rooms available?

The Leveson (http://www.theleveson.com.au/) in North Melbourne has a
boardroom with an LCD. We've used it a few times for LUV/LCA stuff.
Would easily seat 10-20 people, I'd reckon.

cYa,
Avi

Ben Balbo

Jun 9, 2009, 1:09:26 AM6/9/09

Avi Miller wrote:
> The Leveson (http://www.theleveson.com.au/) in North Melbourne has a
> boardroom with an LCD. We've used it a few times for LUV/LCA stuff.
> Would easily seat 10-20 people, I'd reckon.

Awesome - I empower you to call and find out if they can host us on
Monday nights and how much it will cost. Remind them we'll be eating
their lovely food and drinking their awesome drinks in a vein attempt to
get them to drop or lower prices ;)

signature.asc

Avi Miller

Jun 9, 2009, 1:17:53 AM6/9/09
to slideshow-kar...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Ben Balbo wrote:
> Awesome - I empower you to call and find out if they can host us on
> Monday nights and how much it will cost.

The Leveson usually let us use the room for free, assuming we eat and
drink afterwards. Haven't actually called to check if Monday is free
yet, though. Do you really want to have one of these every week? I
would've thought once a month may be a good starting cycle.

cYa,
Avi

Ben Balbo

Jun 9, 2009, 1:34:15 AM6/9/09
to slideshow-kar...@googlegroups.com
> The Leveson usually let us use the room for free, assuming we eat and
> drink afterwards. Haven't actually called to check if Monday is free
> yet, though. Do you really want to have one of these every week? I
> would've thought once a month may be a good starting cycle.

Oh, yes, definitely monthly. Sorry if I gave the impression that weekly
would be a good idea ;)

In terms of clashes, Mondays also host:

MoMoMelb: 2nd Monday
phpmelb: thinking of moving to Mondays, haven't decided which one yet

So currently free are the 1st, 3rd, 4th or last Monday of the month.
Unless anyone has any objections, I nominate the 4th Monday. The first
always creeps up on you unexpectedly, the last freaks some people (and
some calenders) out.

BB

P.S. You'll notice I always make decisions and ask for objections,
rather than try to get consensus from the mob. The latter is impossible
to attain in a reasonable time frame using mailing lists or forums. I'm
not being a benevolent dictator and welcome you all to make decisions
for this group. The mob will correct us as we go.

signature.asc

Michael C. Harris

Jun 9, 2009, 2:14:26 AM6/9/09
2009/6/9 Ben Balbo <b...@benbalbo.com>:

> In terms of clashes, Mondays also host:

Monday is a no-go for me, so consider my membership honorary rather
than participational.

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

Ben Balbo

Jun 9, 2009, 2:26:04 AM6/9/09
Michael C. Harris wrote:
> 2009/6/9 Ben Balbo <b...@benbalbo.com>:
>> In terms of clashes, Mondays also host:
>
> Monday is a no-go for me, so consider my membership honorary rather
> than participational.

What days are good for you?

signature.asc

Michael C. Harris

Jun 9, 2009, 4:49:46 AM6/9/09
to slideshow-kar...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/9 Ben Balbo <b...@benbalbo.com>:

> Michael C. Harris wrote:
>>
>> Monday is a no-go for me, so consider my membership honorary rather
>> than participational.
>
> What days are good for you?

Monday is the only day I have something every week. In general,
Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are good.

Ben Balbo

Jun 9, 2009, 5:07:39 AM6/9/09
to slideshow-kar...@googlegroups.com
>>> Monday is a no-go for me, so consider my membership honorary rather
>>> than participational.
>> What days are good for you?
>
> Monday is the only day I have something every week. In general,
> Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are good.

I can also do Tuesdays - I usually ride back to Portarlington that
night, but if I leave at 6pm or 9pm doesn't make much difference to me,
with the exception of alcohol consumption ;)

Anyone else have problems with Tuesdays? LUV is on the first Tuesday of
the month - any other clashes?

BB

signature.asc