search_slideshows stopped working

Naveen Augustus

Jul 29, 2015, 9:13:53 PM7/29/15
to SlideShare Developers
To reproduce:

- Go to http://apiexplorer.slideshare.net/
- Type in API key = MBHm5BhU
- Type in Shared Secret = Y5lSC7PG
- Expand the SlideShow section and then the search_slideshows method.
- Click on try it.

This corresponds (roughly) to a GET request of https://www.slideshare.net/api/2/search_slideshows?q=slideshare&api_key=MBHm5BhU&hash=31b557a4798c69a1087394df7c0056588ff2e036&ts=1437598533

The response is 200 (OK), but the body is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SlideShareServiceError>
<Message ID="106">Request Timeout or Failed. Please try again.</Message>
</SlideShareServiceError>

The failure affects thousands of our users (literally) on production servers where this code hasn't been touched for year. It was working until a few weeks ago.

You will see that this affects at least one other person: https://community.linkedin.com/questions/345682/why-does-the-error-request-timeout-or-failed-pleas.html. I created a ticket as suggested in that discussion, but LinkedIn Support closed the ticket and asked me to post here instead.

Thank you.

Naveen Augustus

Aug 11, 2015, 4:12:05 AM8/11/15
to SlideShare Developers
Appears to have been fixed over the weekend. It's working again now.