Sleep 3.0 Wish List

Bill Chatfield

Feb 14, 2014, 11:32:09 PM2/14/14
to sleep-de...@googlegroups.com
Sleep 3.0 Wish List
(In descending order of importance.)
  1. Replace local('$blah $stuff') syntax with: my $blah, $stuff; to be consistent with Perl and to be easier to type and read.
  2. Allow forward references to subs so it doesn't matter where they're defined, like Java methods.
  3. Allow subs to define argument lists: sub save($world) { println($world); } This does not require any changes to @_, $1, $2, etc.
  4. Make Java object syntax simpler, more like plain Sleep, Perl6, and Java: $f = File('blah.txt'); $f.setLastModified(2); Sorry, the Smalltalk syntax is cool, but my brain has trouble translating Java into Smalltalk.
  5. Sleep debugger like perl -d.
  6. An operating system variable and/or Java system variable containing a path to search for .sl include files, like Java's CLASSPATH.
Other options:
  1. Make semicolons optional. It's the fashionable thing to do these days. All the JavaScript, Groovy, Perl6, Python, blah, blah, blah, and what not languages are doing it. Python has taught me that extra syntax is just clutter that detracts from the code itself.
  2. Add syntax to define classes. But, please keep it simple. The Perl6 class syntax is overkill and impossible to remember with all the details and different meanings for $, !, % symbols.

Non-language wish list:

  1. Eclipse editor that understands Sleep and can to syntax highlighting, formatting, script debugging, and code completions (Ctrl-Spacebar), like EPIC for Perl.
  2. Vim syntax highlighter for Sleep.

Kai Windle

Feb 15, 2014, 3:17:07 AM2/15/14
to sleep-de...@googlegroups.com