Google Play music as alarm ringtone.

Casey L

Jun 5, 2013, 4:59:54 AM6/5/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
I can't seem to find a way to access Google Play for my alarm. I don't see any of the tracks I own in the settings where you pick an alarm ringtone. I thought this was a feature, am I imagining things?

Thanks.

Petr Nalevka

Jun 5, 2013, 9:55:50 AM6/5/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
Hello Casey,

currently we only show Google Play playlists but as we don't have any test environment with Play music enabled I cannot say if the actual music downloaded from Play is available to be used as the ringtone. We had one report that was claiming that this is not working so we would definitely appreciate some further feedback. It is possible that only playlist composed of your local music within Play Music would be accessible.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Petr

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Casey L <caseyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't seem to find a way to access Google Play for my alarm. I don't see any of the tracks I own in the settings where you pick an alarm ringtone. I thought this was a feature, am I imagining things?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Petr

Diego Montoyer

Jun 15, 2013, 8:10:59 AM6/15/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com, pe...@nalevka.com
I've been wondering this myself.

I have a Nexus 4 and would like to have a single MP3 as my alarm, is there any way to do this? In the 'Your Music' (tagged) section of the Sleep As Android app there's 4 Android sound notifications, and nothing else. In the 'Your Music' (not tagged) section there's more Android sound notifications and only 5 MP3's, I'm not sure why just those 5 are there and my other MP3 files are not? I'm talking about music purchased through Google Music Play Store and my own MP3's I've loaded onto the device myself.

Thank you.

Petr Nalevka

Jun 15, 2013, 3:13:05 PM6/15/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
Hello Diego,

I'm afraid currently we don't know how to access the online music in your Play Music as alarm. In case you would have the music available offline than it should show in the list. Also you may try to create a playlist you Play Music and try to access it from our ringtone picker. Sorry for the little information, but we don't have any device where Play Music would work so we cannot really say how it works.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Petr

Diego Montoyer

Jun 18, 2013, 8:35:44 AM6/18/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've made the music available off line by 'pinning' it in the Play Music app and I still don't have any MP3's showing up in the Ringtone selector. I even created a Playlist in the Play Music app and 'pinned' that too, but that doesn't show up in the Ringtone selector or Playlist selector in the Sleep as Android app either.

Martin Stava

Jun 18, 2013, 2:26:43 PM6/18/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is unfortunate, but I'm not sure we can do much about it.. Google Play Music does not have any official documented API, so we can rely only on blind testing. We did it so that it works on our phones, but each phone can have slightly different version of Google Play Music. Do you see the songs in the ringtone selector of any other alarm you may have?

Cheers,
 Martin

Diego Montoyer

Jun 18, 2013, 4:58:01 PM6/18/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
I understand what you are saying, it is difficult to get access to Play Store audio files stored in the Play Music app even if they have been 'pinned' to the device as I mentioned above. I have even tried a File Browser like ES File Explorer to search for Play Store music that appears in the Music Player app but I can not find them. Google must store their music in the memory and not SD Card? If I manually put a audio file in the Download Folder or Music Folder it does appear in the Your Music (tagged) section in the Ringtone Selector.

I think that is the only way for the alarm to access audio files, by manually adding them to the Download Folder or the the Music Folder and not the Podcasts Folder. That was my error because files added to either the Podcasts Folder or Music Folder both show up in the Music Player app, and most of my audio files were stored in the Podcasts Folder because they are podcasts. I have now moved all my non Play Store audio files into the Music Folder, and all the audio files show up in the Your Music (tagged) Ringtone Selector.

It is a shame you can not get access to music purchased through the Music Play Store, I guess a way around it could be to download the music from my Play Store account to my PC, and then add them to the Music Folder. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

With the standard Android 4.2 alarm all I see is just the basic Android alarm sounds. I have not tried any other alarm apps.

I am using a Nexus 4 with everything up to date with the latest OS and apps and services.

I hope that information is not too confusing, and maybe it will help others.

Cheers.

Martin Stava

Jun 19, 2013, 2:25:26 PM6/19/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We'll try to improve our Google Music Play integration in future versions, but cannot promise miracles. Perhaps one day we'll get Nexus 4 for testing and we'll be able to find a way how to make it working on that phone.

Cheers,
 Martin

George Leon

Dec 2, 2013, 3:42:49 PM12/2/13
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
FYI, Google Play Music stores the tracks as numbered mp3's within the app cache.

A-mak

Jan 7, 2014, 10:49:39 AM1/7/14
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
For the record, Sleep as android used to list my music from google play music. I would have all my music pinned and available offline. Perhaps an update from google themselves broke this feature?
Message has been deleted

Kyle Brill

Dec 18, 2014, 12:04:17 AM12/18/14
to sleep-as...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Sleep as Android for a while now, first on my old Droid 3 and now on a Moto X 2nd Generation. This feature was one I enjoyed, but does not seem to be working on my new phone. I can select a pinned playlist, it recognizes and tells me there are the correct number of songs in said playlist, but the alarm does not use them. I tried to locate the files manually on my device, but am not having any luck either, not even in the android.music folder.

Thanks for a great product, and let me know if anything changes.

Kyle

Martin Stava

Dec 18, 2014, 6:00:53 PM12/18/14
to Sleep as Android Googlegroup

Martin

Dec 18 21:52
Hi,

Thanks for your report. Unfortunately, Google Music has no official API so the integration does not work well on all the models. If you have the number of songs right, there is some hope it can work. Are you setting the playlist on alarm directly or in global settings? If you are setting it on global settings, please make sure your alarm does not set some other settings.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Martin Stava
Urbandroid Team

Sleep as Android Googlegroup

Cc: sleep-as...@googlegroups.com

Dec 18 6:05
I've been using Sleep as Android for a while now, first on my old Droid 3 and now on a Moto X 2nd Generation. This feature was one I enjoyed, but does not seem to be working on my new phone. I can select a pinned playlist, it recognizes and tells me there are the correct number of songs in said playlist, but the alarm does not use them. I tried to locate the files manually on my device, but am not having any luck either, not even in the android.music folder.

Thanks for a great product, and let me know if anything changes.

Kyle

{#HS:61162168-4224#}