some versions of python do not react to stream:features starttls required

George Rey

Feb 22, 2022, 7:47:49 PM2/22/22
to SleekXMPP Discussion
on python 3.10 I get normal, expected behaviour during connection initiation:

DEBUG    SEND: <starttls xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls" />
DEBUG    RECV: <proceed xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls" />
DEBUG    Starting TLS

and rest of the connection proceeds normally, and my tests pass

python 3.7.0, pypy 3.7.12, and PyPy 7.3.8(python 3.9.10)  I get, and this is the last debug message before hanging indefinitely:

And that's the end of the conversation.

The `sleekxmpp` never responds with "SEND: <starttls(...)" and the negotiation hangs up.

There is no exception, no error, nothing. . . . how do I debug this?

I have tried to follow the debugger, and it seems that in
starttls.py: 57
            self.xmpp.send(stanza.STARTTLS())

does get executed,
however, somehow this stanza never gets actually sent out

any hints please?