Teaching foreign languages in Second Life

Kim

Nov 17, 2010, 4:36:53 AM11/17/10
to SLED-Fin
In 2010 and 2011, the AVO-project and EduFinland will host a series of
in-world networking meetings, geared towards providing educators with
an opportunity to connect, talk, and collaborate with colleagues
interested in teaching and learning in virtual worlds, particularly
Second Life.

The theme of the first meeting is "Teaching foreign languages in
Second Life". It will take place on Thursday the 25:th of November, at
2 PM (14.00, Finnish time, CET+1). The location is one of EduFinland's
islands, situated at the following SLURL:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/EduFinland%20III/111/182/24. In
the final segment of the meeting we will visit Kamino Island, where
David Richardson, lecturer at Linnaeus University, Sweden, and an avid
user of Second Life in language teaching, will give us a guided tour
of the island, as well as a small presentation of how the site is used
in educational activities. Kamino Island can be found at
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Kamimo%20Island/127/148/25.

In the second meeting, planned to take place in mid-December this
year, we will explore how Second Life can be used in teaching
environmental sustainability. Among other things, we will travel to a
number of islands that can be useful in illuminating different aspects
of environment, environmental pollution, and sustainable development
in an educational context.

The meetings will be in English because we have some international
guests at the meetings. Small talk and networking in smaller groups
can be done in any language you prefer.

Welcome!