Lonely Eared Grebe - Not Swimming feely in the lake

vamsi.prasad

Apr 15, 2017, 6:19:53 PM4/15/17
to SLBirders
Hi All,

  I saw the a lonely Eared Grebe in Breeding Plumage inside the lake at Ashton Gardens. I saw it today morning at 10AM.

I was walking and watching flowers at tulip festival and as I approached the lake ( man made waterfalls ), I saw that the bird tried to fly and crashed on the grass. As it tried to evade the playing kids, it hit the cement structure.

I think It hit the structure 2 times the I quickly went and took it by hand and released it back in the lake ( Man made waterfalls ).

I am not sure it can fly back to the wild. It is not swimming freely in the lake.

Is it common to have eared grebes at Ashton Gardens ?

Do we need to contact some one to get it to rescue center and release it back to wild ?

Thanks
Krishna