Slax with Skype, Zoom, Slack

Will Meister

Mar 13, 2021, 3:01:18 PM3/13/21
to Slax users
Hello guys, somewhat embarrassed about the naked self-interest in the subject line.

I'm a long-term (15yrs+) Linux user, mostly Debian branch. I need a lightweight Linux for my Asus netbooks, both non-negotiable 64-bit, so I'm planning to migrate to Slax.

Perfectly happy with apt to load LibreOffice, GIMP, Chromium and so on (my software requirements are predictable).

But I'm using Skype, Zoom and Slack for clients. I found a post that said Skype is a problem but you can install Tomas' multiarch package and run the 32bit version (there may be a better alternative by now). I can't find anything about Zoom or Slack. ???

TIA, W.

Luc Bert

Mar 16, 2021, 1:01:57 PM3/16/21
to Slax users
Hi.

I never tried this with Skype, Zoom, Slack... but you can try to download the official Debian packages of Skype, Zoom and Slack from the software developers pages and try to install them with "dpkg -i ..." and then perform "apt install -f" to solve any missing dependency. Then you can use savechanges to build a module.

Use these links for further details and downloads:
https://www.slax.org/customize.php
https://go.skype.com/skypeforlinux-64.deb
https://zoom.us/download?os=linux
https://slack.com/intl/en-fr/downloads/instructions/ubuntu

I don't know if you can find problems in execution under root user, the default in Slax. Furthermore it could be you will get malfuncions, due to missing hardware support.

Bye.

Will Meister

Mar 17, 2021, 4:19:10 AM3/17/21
to slax-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luc, thanks for your message. This was a sincere attempt to help and much appreciated. I was however disappointed at the lack of response from the Slax community to what I would consider a fundamental question: how well does the distro support the average 2021 homeworker? Given the general lack of engagement I decided not to bother with Slax and went for LXLE instead. W.

Luc Bert

Mar 17, 2021, 6:06:30 AM3/17/21
to Slax users
SLAX is a "one-man dormant" distribution; there is no community; only a bare help between users and, sometimes, by the developer.
If you need support and customization and you don't want to lose time trying to get what you need, it's better to go for another solution, like you did.
SLAX "as-is" can be considered halfaway between a light distribution and a web-surfing kiosk distribution.
I hint you to try also AntiX and also Q4OS; they are Debian based, lighter, more supported and more updated than LXLE.

Tomas M

Mar 17, 2021, 6:21:29 AM3/17/21
to Slax users
Dear Will, you asked a question and Luc answered it in great detail, so I don't really understand what "lack of response from Slax community" did you expect :-)

Tomas M

Marek Owsikowski

Sep 27, 2021, 3:45:05 AM9/27/21
to Slax users
I'm using Slax since 2 days and felt in love immediately.
It's a custom debian product. If you can solve problems and install packages on debian, then you can on Slax.
So for me the small community is not such a problem. The old code base is a small problem for me bcause in some areas i need latest cutting edge
packages, so a fresher distro would make things easier.
But... The approach to simplicity&minimalism is just right here. Because of this I was able without a problem get this thing on uefi running. And I attached a MultiIso booter.
I'm really curious what will happen when I use standard debian apt tooling to upgrade the system.
Is the system simple enough that this will work out of the box? :)))
The module system is SO awesome!