Project Caliico - Jamaican Google Summer of Code Programme

Matthew McNaughton

Feb 18, 2016, 12:44:30 PM2/18/16
to slashroots
Hey everyone,

Some of you may have seen the article in today's newspaper, but I wanted to share it here as well. The Computing Society at UWI and UTECH have been collaborating with a Jamaican diaspora foundation called Palisadoes in the US to launch a Jamaican-based Google Summer of Code Programme called Project Calico

The initiative acts as a stepping stone to getting more students in the Global Google Summer of Code Programme. However, it core motivation is to catalyze Jamaican computing students to participate in and contribute to Open Source projects generally.

This is something I care pretty strongly about and a couple years ago we worked with David Bain to host information sessions to help students apply for the programme. David is going to be presenting again today at the launch. The initiative is being lead by the leadership of the Computer societies at both schools and their doing a great job. We are pretty excited to host one of the participants this summer in one of the projects we are working on, which I'll share more about soon enough.

That being said, if you are around UWI today, I'd recommend you stopping by! If you know a student that you think should be participating, definitely let them know about it. They can ask questions here or use the initiative's website

You can read more about the launch today here.

Best Regards,
Matthew McNaughton

project-calico.pdf
GSoC meetup.pdf

Skreech

May 5, 2016, 12:07:05 AM5/5/16
to SlashRoots Caribbean Developer Community
Hey Just Checking in on how this is going. Been reading up on GSoC this year and it's very diverse.