A few questions regarding HD install.

roystonlodge

Jan 23, 2009, 4:16:29 PM1/23/09
to SLAMPP
I've been using Damn Small Linux to run my home server, but this
weekend I'm going to make the switch to SLAMPP since it has all the
tools I need right-out-of-the-box.

Before I start though, I have a few questions:

1) If I do a hard drive install, can I still have SLAMPP copy to RAM
at boot time? Would this give me any performance improvements over
running from a traditional hard drive install?

2) Since I'm migrating from Damn Small Linux, I'm a LITTLE more
familiar with GRUB than I am with LILO. Is it possible to boot SLAMPP
using GRUB instead? (If not, it's a perfect reason for me to teach
myself LILO!)

3) I cannot imagine ever using the graphics, office and multimedia
software on the computer that will be running SLAMPP (I have other
computers for that sort of work). Once SLAMPP is installed, is it
easy to remove these applications or at least prevent them from
distros I've used the built-in applications are usually pretty tough
to remove since they're installed in "non-traditional" ways to keep
their size down.

4) I didn't see any text editors (that I could recognize) in the list
of packages on the web site. Which ones are installed? (My personal
preference is Nano/Pico, for what it's worth.)

Thanks in advance!