requirements?

vella

Oct 30, 2009, 2:36:16 PM10/30/09
to SLAMPP
guys, the slampp home page says it needs 256mb RAM. i severely
disagree. to make mine run even half decently i have to overclock my
p4 2.5 up to 2.7ghz and put in at least 1gb RAM. and then it runs very
slowly. it runs much nicer on my AMD athlon x2 @1.9ghz/core, 3gb RAM.
but i really don't wan to run SLAMPP on that as it is my laptop and
the whole reason for using slampp is that it is a server. i wanted to
use mine to store backups of my laptop. your web site will probably
need to be updated as your requirements are not realistic. the concept
is interesting and i liked how fully featured it was, but i could not
manage to install it. i am going to try again because i think it may
not have liked my choice of username - admin. to put this in
perspective linux mint 7 ran pretty nicely - but wasn't as fully
featured of course - on an AMD duron mobile 1.2GHZ with 512mb RAM and
a 2GB swap

Clint Tinsley

Oct 30, 2009, 6:15:21 PM10/30/09
to sla...@googlegroups.com
I believe your experience is to be one of exception and could be hardware related.  I have not personally tested 2.0.x on a "minimal system" but I have ran it on a 4 year old Pentium 4 laptop with 512 mb of RAM as well as 5 year old Mobile (M series processor) laptop and it ran satisfactorily.  Be aware that a lot of services are started by default and it is always best to only run the services you need for both security and in improving performance.  Your note here does not say which release you were using and that might help in clarification of the performance problems you were experiencing.

vella

Nov 30, 2009, 9:12:11 AM11/30/09
to SLAMPP
it was 2.0, the one included with the linux pro magazine issue #107,
the announcement is here: http://slampp.abangadek.com/blog/?p=39
you are correct though, i did a test of all of my ram and found more
than 50% of my ram sticks to be producing excessive errors even when
at the standard clock speed. i will test again on a non-overclocked
system with the good ram and see if it fairs any better.

On Oct 30, 5:15 pm, Clint Tinsley <cttins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe your experience is to be one of exception and could be hardware
> related.  I have not personally tested 2.0.x on a "minimal system" but I
> have ran it on a 4 year old Pentium 4 laptop with 512 mb of RAM as well as 5
> year old Mobile (M series processor) laptop and it ran satisfactorily.  Be
> aware that a lot of services are started by default and it is always best to
> only run the services you need for both security and in improving
> performance.  Your note here does not say which release you were using and
> that might help in clarification of the performance problems you were
> experiencing.

Clint Tinsley

Nov 30, 2009, 9:59:19 AM11/30/09
to sla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update.  I would recommend downloading the 2.0.2 version if you can (http://slampp.abangadek.com/info/index.php?page=download) and install that instead of the Magazine DVD as we have made some significant maintenance updates.

Clint

--
-----