Dependencies and committing changes

Markus Koller

Jul 16, 2007, 5:04:13 AM7/16/07
to slack users
Hi

I just discovered slack and am really impressed by its simplicity so
far. I thought about writing something similar,
but probably I'll just use slack now ;)

Two features I think would be very useful are:

1. specifying dependencies on roles, so if I e.g. have a role which
needs a webserver running, I could specify an Apache role as a
dependency and it would get installed first.
2. committing locally changed files back to the central repository,
preferably directly to the SCM

Are these already possible somehow, or would you be interested in
implementing these? Also, if anybody already achieves this with some
custom scripts, I'd appreciate it if you could share them.

Cheers
Markus

David Lowry

Jul 16, 2007, 10:08:57 AM7/16/07
to slack...@googlegroups.com
On Jul 16, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Markus Koller wrote:
> 2. committing locally changed files back to the central repository,
> preferably directly to the SCM

I'm not sure if I quite understand what you're asking. Does this
scenario sound right?

1) Run slack and distribute file to /root/myfile from the slack server
2) Make a change to /root/myfile on a slack client
3) Commit changes of /root/myfile to repository

David

Markus Koller

Jul 17, 2007, 1:43:30 PM7/17/07
to slack users
On Jul 16, 4:08 pm, David Lowry <dlo...@bju.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I quite understand what you're asking. Does this
> scenario sound right?
>
> 1) Run slack and distribute file to /root/myfile from the slack server
> 2) Make a change to /root/myfile on a slack client
> 3) Commit changes of /root/myfile to repository

Yes, but my question was more like if slack already supports this,
i.e.
if it can detect changed files and commit/rsync them automatically.
But I guess it shouldn't be too hard to write a little wrapper script
for this.

> David

Thanks for the answer and cheers
Markus

David Lowry

Jul 18, 2007, 9:31:42 AM7/18/07
to slack...@googlegroups.com

I'm pretty sure slack doesn't do that. It really doesn't do anything
with revision management. That's up to the administrator. Sorry!

David