puppet vs. slack

Chris Nolan

May 30, 2007, 4:25:49 PM5/30/07
to slack...@googlegroups.com
Hey Slack Users,

I am evaluating a replacement for cfengine and have started playing
with puppet.  I was introduced to slack at a conference I was
attending last month and have just begun to look into it as another
option.

I need to manage 350+ (growing to 2000 by year's end) devices running
linux.  I need a tool that is easy to use and scales easily.  Tight
integration with subversion would be nice to allow multiple people to
use it and allow for rollbacks and history.

Has anyone on this list transitioned from cfengine?  Has anyone used
puppet as well as slack?  Any input and pointers would be great.

Thanks,

David Lowry

Jun 2, 2007, 6:19:04 PM6/2/07
to slack...@googlegroups.com
I did a little reading on the site (http://puppet.reductivelabs.com/) and it looks like puppet suffers from the same level of complexity that cfengine does. One of the biggest factors for me in choosing slack is its simplicity. Another problem is that puppet uses ruby, which I don't have installed on all my machines.