slack-installfiles skips directories?

Andrew Pollock

Oct 26, 2010, 5:16:26 PM10/26/10
to slack...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've got a fixfiles script, where I'm trying to change the ownership
of a directory. It doesn't seem to be being applied though. I can see
the ownership being as I want it in the staging area, but in the final
resting place, it's incorrect.

I tried running a manual rsync with most of the same flags as what
slack-installfiles does, just for this one directory, and sure enough,
rsync skips over the directory. Seems it needs the --dirs flag as
well?

I'm slightly surprised this isn't a problem more often?

Andrew

Gary Greene

Oct 26, 2010, 7:13:22 PM10/26/10
to slack...@googlegroups.com
I've seen that on a few boxes here, so at this point, I've got specific rules in my postinstall scripts to deal with it instead (too busy to patch the code at where I'm at now....)

Alan Sundell

Oct 26, 2010, 8:29:11 PM10/26/10
to slack...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Andrew Pollock <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've got a fixfiles script, where I'm trying to change the ownership
of a directory. It doesn't seem to be being applied though. I can see
the ownership being as I want it in the staging area, but in the final
resting place, it's incorrect.

Don't try to fixdirs in your fixfiles. :)

You should change dir permissions in one of the normal scripts (which work perfectly fine for that), not fixfiles (which exists for a specific purpose that applies only to files).

[...]
I'm slightly surprised this isn't a problem more often?

Not propagating directory permissions from the stage to the root is a feature, not a bug, and a major reason I had to write slack (as opposed to using my old "subsets" system).

Surprisingly (to me, anyway), this is already documented -- see doc/fixfiles-and-dirs.txt for the long explanation.

--Alan

Andrew Pollock

Oct 27, 2010, 7:08:12 PM10/27/10
to slack...@googlegroups.com

Upstream documentation omitted from the Debian package?! HORROR!

Alan Sundell

Oct 27, 2010, 8:17:13 PM10/27/10
to slack...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Andrew Pollock <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
Upstream documentation omitted from the Debian package?! HORROR!

We should tar and feather the maintainer!

--Alan