postMessage as user (not as bot)

simio...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2014, 5:30:41 AM3/17/14
to slac...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

Is there a way to send messages as a user, using the api? (not as a slackbot).

If no, are there any plans to implement this in the near future?

Best Regards,
SimionBaws

kmrs...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2014, 12:49:22 AM4/11/14
to slac...@googlegroups.com, simio...@gmail.com
Is there a way to send messages as a user, using the api? (not as a slackbot).

It's not simple way, but I successfully pretend to post messages as a user in the part of my app.

At first, ask who the user is by auth.test method.
After that, get all member's id, name and icon image using users.list api method.
Now you can detect his/her name and icon image.
And you can post messages by chat.Postmessages with the name and the icon image.
Finally, you will see messages having  their own names and icon images.

Best Regards,

Shintaro Kimura

Message has been deleted

simio...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2014, 4:28:21 AM4/11/14
to slac...@googlegroups.com, simio...@gmail.com
It's not about displaying it's name, it's about sending a message as the user, not bot.
For example, when you send a file via API, it's posted as user, not bot. It would be nice to be able to send messages this way (like user).

So for instance if i send a private message to someone, he receives the messafe from "slackbot" which is not good.

Paul Hammond

Apr 11, 2014, 1:12:01 PM4/11/14
to slac...@googlegroups.com, Simion Agavriloaei
It's not about displaying it's name, it's about sending a message as the user, not bot.
For example, when you send a file via API, it's posted as user, not bot. It would be nice to be able to send messages this way (like user).

I mentioned this off-list to Simion last week; right now this isn’t possible, but it’s something we’re thinking about. There’s a lot on our todo list before then though.

Sorry!

Paul