MPW-1 Parts Are Shipping!!

Jeff

Dec 18, 2021, 5:41:50 PM12/18/21
to skywater-p...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

It’s been a long journey, but we finally have parts back from MPW-1 and are in the process of shipping those out to project owners! The project owner should get a tracking number email from Efabless by December 23rd.

Each project will be receiving:

300 parts packaged as WCSP

Packaging for the Open MPW shuttles utilizes a Wafer-level Chip Scale Packaging (WCSP) solution.  The package implements a 6x10 ball grid array.

More information for the WCSP package can be found at here

300 breakout boards

Along with the parts, we are shipping breakout boards to allow easy mounting and testing of parts. They can be connected by using headers, or by soldering them to a main board.

The breakout boards will also connect to a test fixture using spring loaded pins to facilitate rapid testing for anyone who wants to screen their set of parts to see if they can find a working (or partially working ) chip.

>100 bare die!

Bare dies are being provided for MPW-ONE on a one-time basis due to the previously discussed issues. This should give projects the ability to share dies with anyone who has access to silicon diagnostic and manipulation tools and wants to further probe the situation.

We hope that groups in the community will take advantage of this opportunity. Due to being fully open we would love MPW-ONE to become the most analyzed test silicon in history!

We encourage everyone to both post their results publically and share them widely. Please post your findings on the #general channel of the SkyWater PDK slack and send an email to open...@efabless.com so we can include it in future newsletters. If posting on twitter use the #sky130-mpw1 hashtag so people can find them.

Thank you.

The Efabless Team

P.S. -- See images of the full bumped wafers below.  The open spots on the wafers are slots used for foundry test structures.

Diced parts are sorted into waffle packs for shipping to project owners.