SSTV frin ISS

44 views
Skip to first unread message

Alex VE3NEA

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 1:54:51 PM (6 days ago) Oct 3
to SkyRoof
Has anyone managed to copy SSTV images from ISS using SkyRoof? Their signals are pretty strong, I was able to receive decent pictures at elevations as low as 2 degrees.

Below is a screenshot of my SlyRoof panels layout on a 4K monitor, with SSTV being received. Note the spectrogram in the FT4 console, the spectral components of the SSTV signals are visible: sync pulses at 1200 Hz and video at 1300-2500 Hz.

iss-sstv.png

Dave Perks

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 2:04:12 PM (6 days ago) Oct 3
to SkyRoof
Yeah no problem at all, in fact I compared it with RX-SSTV on the same pass yesterday and the image in SkyRoof was much better, not broken into horizontal pieces like the other ones. I have some better passes later today but so far very impressed. This is with a fixed homebuilt very rough and ready 3 element Yagi mounted pointing due south at 45 degree elevation, no rotator. Using an RSPdx SDR, these are straight from SkyRoof, no denoising applied. Screenshot 2026-10-03 110230.png

Robert VA3ROM

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 2:45:06 PM (6 days ago) Oct 3
to SkyRoof
I also copied several passes yesterday and today and will keep monitoring until the end of this event (Oct. 6). I've already received my ARISS certificate for this SES. I use an M2 eggbeater, an AB-IO-433 LNA at the feedpoint and a 5 m LMR-240 to my RSPduo. I do additional Python processing to determine frame SNR (dB) and correlation/quality (unitless, up to 1.000). "R36" is Robot 36. An SNR of 13.4 dB is amazing, and 0.923 is basically P5. This was 560 km north of me at an elevation of about 46 degrees for the first image (max. was 48 degrees) and about 8 degrees for the second image. Because the SSTV UHF antenna is on the Zvezda (Russia) Service module at one end of the ISS, I'm getting better SSTV images when it is receding from me. This indicates the solar panels are oriented more north-south, and Zvezda is aligned more westward.  The SSDV Chinese satellite SES will begin on October 8. I look forward to comparing SSDV images with SSTV.

NA1ISS 2026-Oct-03 1651Z.bmp         NA1ISS 2026-Oct-03 1654Z.bmp
          Diagram-order-modules-International-Space-Station-1024x715.jpg

Robert VA3ROM

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 3:12:53 PM (6 days ago) Oct 3
to SkyRoof
Oopsie. The elevation in that second image should be about 28 degrees. Anyway, I'm impressed. I've never used my RSPduo for UHF before SkyRoof. Now I'm streaming telemetry from four satellites to SatNOGS (AEPEX, CANVAS, QMR-KWT and UmKA-1). They have nice dashboards with leaderboards and interesting telemetry. Given that they're built by college and university students and rely on hobbyists to provide the data, it's a useful radio service to provide 24/7. And I can get the MS Copilot AI to explain it all to me in layman's terms.

73,
Robert

vk2...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 4, 2026, 2:06:56 AM (5 days ago) Oct 4
to SkyRoof
SkyRoof Vs RX-SSTV.  Using the "Output Stream" as "Audio to VAC" for RX-SSTV.

20261004_045524_ARISS_Robot36_2.png        2026-10-03_17.55.24.jpg

As received, no denoise or editing.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages