IC-705 Issue

43 views
Skip to first unread message

Scott Price

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 9:14:56 PM (7 days ago) Oct 3
to SkyRoof

I am trying to use an IC-705 radio with Skyroof and Wfview on a Windows 11 laptop . I am able to connect Wfview to my IC-705 and control the radio with no issues. I then open up Skyroof to control the radio doppler but it is not sending any commands to the radio. No frequency or anything.

 I have enabled the Rigctld in Wfview on port 4533. In the Skyroof app I also have RXCAT and TXCAT set to port 4533. The host IP is 127.0.0.1 as both apps are running on the same PC. I have researched many articles about this and tried every suggestion with no success.

 Does anyone have any suggestions I can try? I must be missing something somewhere. I have also tried disabling my windows firewall.

Skyroof is an awesome program and it works well with my sdr dongles but I would like to use my IC-705 as well.

Thanks.

Alex VE3NEA

unread,
Oct 4, 2026, 11:44:41 AM (6 days ago) Oct 4
to SkyRoof
Only one program can open a given COM port at any time. Since you allowed wfview to talk to the radio, SkyCAT is unable to connect to the same port and fails. Stop wfview, and configure SkyCAT as described on its web site.

Scott Price

unread,
Oct 4, 2026, 4:31:00 PM (6 days ago) Oct 4
to SkyRoof
Thanks Alex. I obviously got some bad information from an AI search. I did try SkyCat before this but had no success so I must have  missed something. I will try it again. SkyCat is such a great program and works so well!!

I also have a paid version of your CW Skimmer which is another great program. 

Scott

Scott Price

unread,
Oct 4, 2026, 5:08:00 PM (6 days ago) Oct 4
to SkyRoof
If I connect a USB cable between the PC and the IC-705 I can get it to work. Frequency and doppler control work fine. There is nothing showing in the waterfall though. Maybe this is not possible. I can at least use the IC-705 for sat work.

Scott

Thomas Schuessler

unread,
Oct 4, 2026, 5:29:34 PM (6 days ago) Oct 4
to Alex VE3NEA, SkyRoof
I do fully get why the same COM port cannot be used by two different pieces of software talking to the same radio, as by nature COM ports are one to one.

SO, I was playing with Skycat, SkyRoof, HDSDR, and my FT847 through a Rigblaster.  HDSDR can talk bidirectionally to another piece of software via a "Virtual Serial Port COM port pair.  It this way HDSDR can look to Skyroof as a fully controllable radio which I can drive from either program.  To do this, I created a completely different folder with Skycat and a shortcut reflecting the parameters for a TS-2000 because HDSDR can emulate that radio, and talking to the VSPE created a COM port pair, COMs 9 and 10.  I am doing this experiment because I might want to use my FunCubeDongle Pro+ for the downlink, because it does not desense as does my SDRPlay RSP1a.  That SkyRoof to HDSDR controlling the Pro+ part works great by itself.  My original SKYCAT, in it's original folder happily runs my Yaesu FT847 just fine by itself using COM 3.  

My issue comes when I start one shortcut which works, than the other one which reports that "There can be only one port open".  Does not matter which SkyCat is opened first.

The above scenario would be very inefficient to run I know.  But my question is, if I had two IC 705's, and wanted to run them as a full duplex pair, how would I do this in SkyCAT, if it allows only one COM port at a time?

Tom, N5HYP
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SkyRoof" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to skyroof+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/skyroof/a4873d84-734e-4332-b562-2236a0e81b08n%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Alex VE3NEA

unread,
Oct 4, 2026, 6:59:36 PM (6 days ago) Oct 4
to SkyRoof
If you run two instances of SkyCAT, they should use different COM ports and different TCP ports. On the other hand, two programs can talk to the same instance of SkyCAT and control the same radio.

Alex VE3NEA

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 8:10:34 AM (5 days ago) Oct 5
to SkyRoof
The waterfall comes from an SDR, not from a transceiver.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages