TinyMCE version

Clinton Judy

Sep 22, 2010, 10:21:41 AM9/22/10
to Skyline CMS
Hey everybody!

We're trying to upgrade TinyMCE on our end, to pull in a ton of the
bug fixes and a couple minor features that we could really use. We had
one hitch involved with Skyline's monkeypatching of ScriptLoader to
enable asynchronous code loading, but the latest version of TinyMCE
already includes that functionality, so we're able to just throw it
out. At this point, there are no javascript errors, but TinyMCE still
isn't turning on for our paragraph sections.

Do you know what else would be involved with getting the latest
version of it to work with Skyline? I know Skyline has a very
customized theme for it, so it will use Skyline's media and link
pickers. Can you guys comment on the approach you took to integrate
TinyMCE with Skyline, and what it would take for me (or you :-) ) to
upgrade it?

Thanks,

- Clinton
Web Developer @ West Arete

Clinton Judy

Sep 22, 2010, 10:45:35 AM9/22/10
to Skyline CMS
Here's a gist of what I'm trying to get working on our codebase, that
I think we need an upgrade of TinyMCE for.

gist.github.com/db15ccf1cf449ee259b7

I still haven't found out exactly what version of TinyMCE includes
style_formats support. Or if it's just a change to Skyline's custom
theme that we need to add.

Flurin Egger

Sep 22, 2010, 10:47:09 AM9/22/10
to skyli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clinton,

Thanks for the gist, I'm taking a look at it now.

Flurin

Flurin Egger

Sep 22, 2010, 10:49:49 AM9/22/10
to skyli...@googlegroups.com
I see you want to use the "style_formats" feature of TinyMCE. Could
you explain to me what you're trying to achieve? Maybe that helps! :)

Flurin

Clinton Judy

Sep 22, 2010, 10:59:21 AM9/22/10
to Skyline CMS
Hi Flurin,

We have a few classes that we want to put around blocks of text (as
divs or spans) within a paragraph section.

I found a method that's in TinyMCE's example advanced theme that uses
style_formats, and that method isn't in Skyline's theme. I just copied
the function over (and removed my TinyMCE upgrade), and I'll make
another post here with the result.

Even if that works, an upgrade to TinyMCE would be the only thing we
need to have better Webkit (Chrome and Safari) compatibility. Several
of the fixes in their changelog deal with the toolbar not appearing on
Webkit browsers, which is exactly the problem we're having when we use
Chrome instead of Firefox. We're using Firefox now, but several of our
clients use Internet Explorer, Webkit browsers and Opera with reckless
abandon. :-)

- Clinton

Flurin Egger

Sep 22, 2010, 11:00:45 AM9/22/10
to skyli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clinton,

I'm currently looking into an upgrade to the newest version of
TinyMCE. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Flurin

johmas

Sep 22, 2010, 10:30:13 AM9/22/10
to Skyline CMS
A TinyMCE upgrade would be great, there are some new features that'd
be really useful!
+1 Clinton.

Digitpaint, thanks in advance for helping!
-jm

Flurin Egger

Sep 23, 2010, 6:39:19 AM9/23/10
to skyli...@googlegroups.com
There are a couple of patches in the development branch that should
work with TinyMCE 3.3.X (currently 3.3.9)

We overwrite TinyMCE's ScriptLoader which caused the problem because
it changed quite a bit when we updated from 3.2.x to 3.3.x.

We need to overwrite the ScriptLoader because TinyMCE loads all kind
of javascript files on it's own (mainly languages) but we handle all
the JS that get's loaded from within Skyline. One of the reasons for
going along this path is that we don't really want to request the
language file on every paragraph instance we add.

You should be able to backport it to the stable branch by just copying
the whole skyline.editor tree. It should work, but I haven't tested
it. :)

Good luck and let me know if everything works.

Flurin

Clinton Judy

Sep 29, 2010, 4:16:18 PM9/29/10
to Skyline CMS
Thanks for working on this. I still have to import some of the stuff
from the advanced TinyMCE theme, to the Skyline TinyMCE theme, so I
can use custom styles. It's not going so well, since a ton of stuff
seems to have changed between the two. Any ideas about that? So far,
I'm just copying over methods like _importClasses, _nodeChanged, and
_createStyleSelect, then fixing problems when they occur, but this
feels sloppy.

- Clinton

Flurin Egger

Sep 29, 2010, 6:03:54 PM9/29/10
to skyli...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I see your point but the Skyline theme is a custom theme and was never 100% compatible with any other themes.

If I recall correctly, we decided to create our own theme because of the toolbar handling. Back when we implemented it, we started out with the advanced theme and removed the things we didn't deem necessary.

So if you want to add a lot of functionality from the advanced theme it is probably best to start with that and customize it for Skyline.

Hope that helps, if I find time, I'll look in to it.

Cheers,
Flurin