S8 crashing on Options tab

Joanna Penning

May 3, 2024, 10:34:11 AMMay 3
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi, I use SKY8 and I'm having problems with it crashing every time I try to change the template - i.e. try to access Options>Index etc, which I need to do. (Kamm is away from his office unfortunately until Monday; my index is due in then!) I've tried rebooting, resorting index, and merging in to new index file, to no avail sadly.
Also, we have tried turning off my anti-virus software in case it was interfering with S8 - also not that.
If anyone has any other bright ideas I'd be very pleased to know. Otherwise I shall have to shuffle things about in the generated rtf.
Best, Jo

Deborah Patton

May 3, 2024, 12:30:26 PMMay 3
to Joanna Penning, SKYIndexUsers
Hi Jo,
Some additional ideas to try:
*create a new index, then merge this problem one into that one. With the new one open, go to Fiule>File Management>restore. Then you'll need to find the current one to complete the merge.
Your settings won't be included, so you'll have to re-set your formatting parameters.
That sometimes clears stuff up.
But what if it doesn't? The really radical thing to try is to reinstall SKY. Before you do anything, go to Help>About and write down your license number which will be displayed there. Then you'll need to track down the installation program -- maybe it's in your Downloads folder but if it isn't, it's okay to download a new one from the SKY website. Then just install it and put in your name, email, and license number at the appropriate time.
I'm trying to remember the last time I had to do that... but I can't. I've definitely done both of these with good results afterward.
These glitches are annoying, but hopefully one or the other of these ideas will help.
Deborah

ju...@writeguru.com

May 3, 2024, 1:19:42 PMMay 3
to Deborah Patton, Joanna Penning, SKYIndexUsers

>>*create a new index, then merge this problem one into that one.

How—when SKY 8 is frozen and won’t budge?

~Judi

Deborah Patton

May 3, 2024, 10:22:15 PMMay 3
to Maria Sosnowski, Joanna Penning, SKYIndexUsers
I re-read what I wrote and was WRONG. Go to File>File Management>Merge.
Egad! Sorry.
Let us know if any of these ideas worked...
Deborah

On Friday, May 3rd, 2024 at 7:31 PM, Maria Sosnowski <ma...@index-plus.com> wrote:

Good suggestions, Deborah.

Maria

to Deborah Patton, Joanna Penning, SKYIndexUsers
Hi there, way back in my Berkeley course, someone found that Sky would often crash if you relocated your index folders to be somewhere other than where Sky originally put them. I love to reorganize my folders to be by project and such, put I no longer do that with the Sky-created folders. That solved the crash problems for me. Maybe that applies to your situation. Good luck either way it!
Lora

Maria Sosnowski

May 4, 2024, 2:18:56 AMMay 4
to Deborah Patton, Joanna Penning, SKYIndexUsers

Good suggestions, Deborah.

Maria

May 5, 2024, 1:00:56 PMMay 5
to Lora Marchand, Deborah Patton, Joanna Penning, SKYIndexUsers
Lora, thanks for this info. I *always* save the file into my client structure and away from the SKY folder. I'll have to try not doing that.

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editor, Book Coach, Indexer, and Faculty Development Professional

Joanna Penning

May 5, 2024, 2:04:36 PMMay 5
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi,
It is interesting to read all the advice and suggestions, thank you for those,
At the start of the problem I did do the File> File management> merge  thing that I have done many times before successfully when a Sky file has become corrupted. But unfortunately that is not the problem here. Also I have found that the file crashing on Options> Index does not occur on my old laptop which I have started using again now;  it is clearly something occurring in my new laptop only, and is not the file itself. Thankfully I'll be able to finish my index and get it sent tomorrow, but the problem remains on the newer computer. I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling SKY8 on it as per what Deborah suggested, unless Kamm gets back to me with some other advice...
JO

Joanna Penning
Society of Indexers, Advanced professional member

Line by Line Indexing

May 6, 2024, 9:04:05 AMMay 6
to SKYIndexUsers
I'm just catching up on my listservs, so I'm a little late to answer this question. But maybe this will still be helpful.

When I had a problem with a particular index on my desktop but not on my laptop, Kamm suggested that I run SKY when the computer was in safe mode.

My particular issue was that typing was very slow in the index pane and running my computer in safe mode did eliminate the problem. The next step he suggested if SKY ran properly in safe mode was to disable all the "startup programs" to see if that solved the issue. And it did!.  I didn't do the final step of adding each back, one by one, to see if which one was the culprit. Which I should. If I have time I'll do that today or tomorrow and report back.

The end result - the issue was with my computer, not SKY. Something I had recently done (maybe through a shortcut that I didn't know I used (it happens!) or by adding a new app to my desktop, which was probably the case...
__________

Here's a link to Microsoft's instructions on how to disable startup programs.

Here's a link to Microsoft's instructions on how to start up in safe mode.

I hope this helps!

Michelle

Our business hours might be different. Feel free to respond when it's convenient for you.

Rudy Leon

May 9, 2024, 6:29:48 PMMay 9
to SKYIndexUsers
Like I needed the evidence, I have just closed and reopened S8 for the third time in the last 2 pages (I have 4 pages to go in the book). It would be nice to know why it randomly decides I cannot type into a field, while it autocorrects over whatever I was correcting or instead of what I was trying to type (which makes it challenging to come back to after restarting the program and correct).

And truly, it always does this at the end of a book. In this case, a pretty short book.