Sky 8 -- Weird behavior with grid and pane not matching

AElfwine Mischler

Nov 10, 2020, 6:44:30 AM11/10/20
to SKYIndexUsers
Help! I've never seen such weird behavior. I'm working on a huge project (still in early stages, so it's not too huge yet), making 4 indexes for multi-volume work. Complex locators showing volume, book, chapter, page.

As I was inputting, I put everything into one master general index, and then after a chapter or two (they're short) I copied the appropriate entries into the names, works, and places indexes, and deleted those from the general index.

The pages I've done for Book 3 have to be renumbered by incrementing by 3. (I didn't do Books 1 and 2 yet because they had some work being done that would affect page flow.) Fortunately, I worked on the smallest index (Places) first, in case something went wrong. It did.

Two entries for 1:3.1.331 to be changed to 1:3.1.334. The change seemed to go OK (I had them in a group), but then I could not find them in the grid when I ungrouped. I input them again. Not in the grid. I thought perhaps Sky was not happy about having four indexes open, so I closed them all, closed Sky, re-opened Places. No sign of those entries. I input them again and color-coded them. They're not in the grid.

But when I generated the index, they appeared in the RTF file, and I now see them in the Index Pane, but not in the grid, whether I show by input order, page order, or alphabetical.

I have more entries to change in this index and the other three indexes, and I'm terrified of losing work if I do anything. (Yes, I can Save As with another name first.) But this whole thing of the entries not showing in the grid is so weird. Any ideas why this is happening? What to do? How to get the entries back in the grid?

And don't anyone suggest moving to Sky 7. There are tons of diacritics in this book, and no way I'm coding them in.

AElfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)