Is there a way to make boldface locators sort to the end of the list?

Amanda Rodgers

Jan 25, 2023, 6:49:47 PM1/25/23
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi everyone, I'm working on an index where some of the locators are figure numbers rather than page numbers, so a given entry might look like this:

fonts: 35.6, 95, 254

What I want to do is force those boldface figure numbers to the end of the list (they refer to an online supplement to the text). Is there a way to make Sky do that?

Sincerely,

Amanda Rodgers
http://www.chameleoneditorial.com

Deborah Patton

Jan 25, 2023, 7:17:55 PM1/25/23
to SKYIndexUsers
Should have also sent this to the list. Oops.
Deborah

Jan 25, 2023, 7:41:54 PM1/25/23
to Deborah Patton, SKYIndexUsers
It just occurred to me there's a fast way to do this. Finish your indexing without inserting any hidden text. When you're done Find all locators in boldface
Find *
in page field
in boldface
When you have that group, select them all and when selected go to
Tools>Add prefix to selected records
Choose the page field
In the text box, type
Ctrl T (to hide) then 999
And say okay and all the boldface records should now be sorting at the end of the string.
Test a few first, but I think that's the easiest way to do it.
Deborah

Jan 25, 2023, 7:59:07 PM1/25/23
to Line by Line Indexing, Deborah Patton, SKYIndexUsers
Thanks so much! Unfortunately, as soon as I hide the 999 (ctrl+T), Sky skips right over it for some reason and puts it right back where it was before.

Sincerely,

Amanda Rodgers
http://www.chameleoneditorial.com

Jochen Fassbender

Jan 25, 2023, 9:51:20 PM1/25/23
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Getting awake in the middle of the (European) night I see this question.

Answer: no need for hidden text and adding prefixes. Instead

1) Just go to Options > Index Options > Locators

2) Activate "Recognize Volume Labels"

3) Input and Output Separators should be a period

After clicking OK, locators do sort the way Amanda wants.

Getting back to sleep + best wishes,
Jochen

Nigel D'Auvergne

Jan 26, 2023, 10:06:10 AM1/26/23
to SKYIndexUsers

Hi Jochen

I’m impressed you can think so straight in the middle of the night!

Nigel

Nigel D'Auvergne • Freelance Indexing

Steyning • West Sussex • UK

+44(0)7743 611935

www.nigeldauvergne.co.uk

Amanda Rodgers

Jan 26, 2023, 10:26:08 AM1/26/23
to ni...@nigeldauvergne.co.uk, SKYIndexUsers
Thanks so much, Jochen!! I hope you aren't too tired today. :)

Jochen Fassbender

Jan 26, 2023, 6:07:35 PM1/26/23
to Amanda Rodgers, ni...@nigeldauvergne.co.uk, SKYIndexUsers
Hi Amanda and Nigel,

No, I'm not tired because of that. And thanks for the compliment. I guess it was just a nightly inspiration :-)

I instantly thought that the solution has something to do with volume labels. In this case there are two different types of locators: regular page numbers and something like section numbers. Activating volume labels obviously sorts page numbers first because they don't have a volume number.

Incidentally, the resulting order of locators has nothing to do with Locator Format Priority. Those section numbers could also be italic and still sort the way they are.

Best,
Jochen