FIXED semicolon and space missing between some subs

AElfwine Mischler

Oct 23, 2021, 4:58:36 AM10/23/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Kamm was able to fix the problem with a change in my settings. I took screen snips of my wrong settings and his correct ones, for future reference. I'm sharing the correct ones here. If the screen snips don't come through, I'll have to type out the settings.

The changes he made are in the Index Style settings, not the Cross-Reference settings. I've never even looked at those, much less changed them. I'm not clear just what they do or why this was the fix. I'll have to see if the info is in the Guide.

Again, the problem was that I had See and See also xrefs from subs, to be in parentheses. But the sub before each of these lacked a semicolon and space. Below are Kamm's correct settings.

Index Style: Custom style settings for Sub1 (this is where the problem was in my settings)
from-Kamm-CORRECT-SETTINGS.PNG

Cross-References from Main

from-Kamm-xref-main.PNG

Cross-References from Subs

from-Kamm-xref-subs.PNG

Happy indexing!

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Maria Sosnowski

Oct 23, 2021, 10:10:50 AM10/23/21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

Thanks for sharing!

Maria

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png

Victoria George

Oct 25, 2021, 10:45:17 AM10/25/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all,
I reformatted a completed index to the "title case" setting to show my client what the index would look like in that format. Now, when I reset the heading style to "lower case", or "none" it will not return the capitalizations I input originally (acronyms, organization titles, etc.). I can see that they are there in the grid pane but they do not show up in the index pane, nor do they print. This will involve manually correcting a lot of acronyms if there isn't a font or capitalization setting that will permit the headings, as entered, to print.  Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Of course, I will never make this mistake again!

Thanking you all in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Victoria George

Jochen Fassbender

Oct 26, 2021, 9:52:14 AM10/26/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't sound as if you've saved your original file before you changed capitalization. Or did you save it or have a slightly older version of the latest one?

Undo probably might not help either in this situation.

If I do change capitalization via Index Options>Heading Style, all headings in the grid remain as originally entered but they change in the preview pane and they do print. I can also return to the original setting without problems. So it seems just the opposite of what you see. I'm using SKY 7.

Also, maybe you can show an example heading or two of your entries, so as to better comprehend your problem?

Jochen