Dashes

9 vues

mjhw...@gmail.com

non lue,
19 févr. 2023, 20:15:4619/02/2023
à SKYIndexUsers
How do enter an en or em dash in text and in dialogues?

You used to be able to enter them in the grid using Ctrl+- or Shift+Ctrl+-, and in the grid and dialogue boxes by holding down the Alt key and entering 0150 or 0151 , but neither of those work any more. In the Grid and the Index pane you can enter the Unicode 2013 or 2014 followed by Alt-X, but it doesn't work in the dialogues. I often need to use the Replace dialogue to find hyphens and convert them to dashes, and also sometimes to convert strange combinations of characters produced by Excel, but I can't figure out how to enter a dash in the Replace box without scratching around in the character map or copying and pasting from another program. Any clues?

Michael

AElfwine Mischler

non lue,
20 févr. 2023, 02:49:3720/02/2023
à mjhw...@gmail.com,SKYIndexUsers
I'm on Sky 8. I just tested out using Alt + 0151 for em dash and Alt + 0150 for en dash, and a few other characters. They all worked for me in the grid and the index viewing pane.

If you know the Unicode values (which you do), you can easily find them in the character map once by using the Unicode value and then copy them into the Translation Manager. I set up a Translation with an equal sign = for en dash and a swing dash ~ for em dash. I just find that faster to type than using Alt codes. If I copy from some other text, I sometimes have problems with fonts in the generated index.

I don't know why you're having problems. I'm not savvy that way.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
American Society for Indexing (ASI)
Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation (ISC/SCI)

Deborah Patton

non lue,
20 févr. 2023, 07:04:3520/02/2023
à AElfwine Mischler,mjhw...@gmail.com,SKYIndexUsers
What I do now to find the en dash in the character map is to search for it. In v8, with the character map open, it may be truncated. In the lower left corner is 'advanced view' -- when I check that box, it opens up and the last line is 'Search for.' I type in the words 'en dash' then hit the enter key and boom -- it's right there to select and copy.
Hope that helps,
Deborah