tilde letter

Siusan Moffat

Jul 22, 2022, 3:10:19 PM7/22/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi there,

I just can't find or make ñ in Sky (or elsewhere). Am I missing something?

I can't even make it in word using the shortcut ( alt+0209).

I am definitely missing something.

Also, is there an easy way to find a diacritic in the character map? I'm
almost always scrolling and scrolling and have to see something 2 or 3
times to recognize and choose it.

Siusan

--
Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member

I acknowledge that I live and work in the traditional
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

Jochen Fassbender

Jul 22, 2022, 3:16:20 PM7/22/22
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hi Siusan,

Obviously you can create this diacritic; it is correctly displayed in your post.

So why not just copy & paste it into SKY? The basic character map also contains it.

Jochen

Amanda Rodgers

Jul 22, 2022, 3:17:50 PM7/22/22
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
Hi Siusan,

Try typing alt+164 directly in Sky; that always works for me.

I got so tired of searching through the character map in Sky that I searched up a table of ASCII codes and printed my own little table of the ones I use most often. It's easier to just glance at my little cheat sheet and type alt+whatever than to open up the character map every time.

Sincerely,

Amanda Rodgers
http://www.chameleoneditorial.com

Siusan Moffat

Jul 22, 2022, 3:19:53 PM7/22/22
to Jochen Fassbender, skyind...@googlegroups.com

Yes I just copied and pasted into my email :) It will not copy and paste correctly in the word doc or Sky. Is it perhaps because it's in italics? I cannot say... I could not find in character map :(

Siusan

Siusan Moffat

Jul 22, 2022, 3:22:46 PM7/22/22
to Amanda Rodgers, SKYIndexUsers

Hi,

Unfortunately, the alt+164 doesn't work either (neither Sky nor Word). I am using Margaret's Macros, turned that off and that didn't make a difference either.

Great idea about the printed table. That would probably help me. Thanks :)

Siusan

Amanda Rodgers

Jul 22, 2022, 3:27:25 PM7/22/22
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
Could it have something to do with your font? I just opened the character map in Sky 8 and found it right away (screenshot attached with ñ circled).

If all else fails, can you copy and paste it from the text? Sometimes I get PDFs with wonky formatting where the diacritics don't copy over but it usually works.

Sincerely,

Amanda Rodgers
http://www.chameleoneditorial.com

charactermap.jpg

Siusan Moffat

Jul 22, 2022, 3:33:07 PM7/22/22
to SKYIndexUsers

So what ended up working for me was to search for "164" (I didn't even realize you could search the character map. Although searching for "n" - in many configurations - didn't work at all.)

Thanks everyone!

Siusan

Judi Gibbs

Jul 22, 2022, 4:02:48 PM7/22/22
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers

Which is why dropping the translation table from SKY 8 was a bad idea. There are some diacritics that do NOT work in SKY 8. Tlingit and Himalayan diacritics are among them.

I understand Kamm is working on SKY 9. I’ve e-mailed him that he needs to re-incorporate the translation table. I also made some other suggestions.

He was not receptive to any of them.

~Judi

AElfwine Mischler

Jul 22, 2022, 4:21:44 PM7/22/22
to Judi Gibbs, Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
Judi, there is a Translation Manager in Sky 8. I’m using it on my current index because the diacritics copy as weird symbols (e.g. ¥ is ā, the registered trademark [circled R] is Ā). I used the Character Map and Unicode values to get the characters I wanted, then put them into the Translation Manager. It works fine.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Heather Pendley

Jul 22, 2022, 4:41:06 PM7/22/22
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
Try alt+164

Heather Pendley
Indexer│Copy Editor│Proofreader
Quick, Professional, Affordable
Click here to schedule a consultation
https://pendleysproediting.com/
   Reading is dreaming with your eyes open

                https://sdpen.com/member-profiles/pendley-heather/

Judi Gibbs

Jul 22, 2022, 5:17:18 PM7/22/22
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

I did not know that. Was it there when SKY 8 first came out?

~Judi

AElfwine Mischler

Jul 22, 2022, 5:32:27 PM7/22/22
to Judi Gibbs, SKYIndexUsers
That I do not know. I didn't use Sky 8 when it first came out.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Deborah Patton

Jul 22, 2022, 7:24:49 PM7/22/22
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
At the bottom of the v8 Character map on the left is a check box for 'Advanced View' which I could not live without. The bottom line of the advanced view is 'Search for' which I use to paste characters from pdfs that don't paste into the grid. Then I click on search and it just about always finds the one I need. I can't recall a time when it didn't. Then it's the usual of Select that character and copy it to paste it into the grid.

And yes there's always been a translation table in the v8, but I use it for everything but unicode characters. I agree with AElfwine that using it for Arabic or other non-Western characters may work around a lot of hassles. I think I use it most to translate a carat (^) for a comma when I have multiple notes in locators.
Deborah