SKY error, related to chapters, maybe?

Rudy Leon

Apr 1, 2024, 7:04:46 PMApr 1
to SKYIndexUsers, ASI Digital Publications Indexing SIG
Y'all, I am beyond frustrated. I have a note in to Kamm, but I want this thing off my desk soonest.

This is the same index that has been a bloody nightmare for embedding. It turns out that SKY  exports it one of three ways: ending at C, missing most of C and all of D, E, F, and G; or the complete index.

The partial indexes embed just fine. Except, of course, for being wrong.

The whole index gets me an error message that my index appears to have chapter markers. It does not. I have scanned the entire tab delimited file, and I have scanned the locators in SKY, and I don't see anything irregular.

Have any of you encountered this kind of error message before? I'm open to any ideas about what to look for to identify the "chapter" indicators, and any ideas of what may be causing the export to hiccup so badly in C-G range. I have to get this off my plate so I can finish the terrible awful CUP-codes process index I'm in the middle of (I will never do a codes-process one again, it is the slowest process imaginable, I could not charge enough to make it worth doing. But obviously, the embedding in general is starting to feel the same)

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editor, Book Coach, Indexer, and Faculty Development Professional

Rudy Leon

Apr 2, 2024, 5:33:42 PMApr 2
to SKYIndexUsers, ASI Digital Publications Indexing SIG
In case anyone encounters these issues in the future, the two problems have been resolved:

Jack Lyon solved the chapter issue, the problem turned out to be a typo in a page range (two of them, but 1 would have been enough.) A dot instead of a dash. 1440.1445 instead of 1440-1445. I do think error check should have caught that, but I will figure that out later.

Kamm figured out why the export was incomplete: cursor must be in the first entry of the marquee or the index exports only partially.

Two simple but absolutely soul-crushing and excruciatingly expensive simple errors.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice! I appreciate every bit of it.